What should the parents do ?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. makusr profile image59
    makusrposted 12 years ago

When a teen commits a horrible mistake ? What's your first reaction, PUNISHMENT or UNDERSTANDING ?

1. bell du jour profile image59
      bell du jourposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My first reaction is understanding, after all a mistake is a mistake.  Of course sitting down and discussing what happened and giving advice to help ensure it doesn't happen again is so important.  I'm not sure about punishment, its only constructive if it helps the teen to learn a lesson, not as punishment for punishment sake.

2. dredcuan profile image91
      dredcuanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You need to know first the reason behind that mistake.  Maybe there's something in him or her that he/she needs to open up.  Proper communication between parents and their children is still the key to understand each other.  Once you already know the reason then you may give the necessary, reasonable punishment based on what they've did.

3. New 2011 Mom profile image61
      New 2011 Momposted 12 years agoin reply to this

First thing is to try and understand what and why went on. Sometimes it is hard to understand teenagers, or anyones reason so let them explain everything in full detail. After they explain then think about what happened and if there is a reason to punish them or not. Sometimes a punishment is needed, but other times it is not. Just talking can be punishment enough.

4. Fellow Mumbaite profile image60
      Fellow Mumbaiteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would prefer trying to learn the reasons for the mistake that he or she has committed. I would wish to learn this reasons from them itself. If they confess the truth then I would try to analyze the situation and their explanations for the same. Only after that I could get judgmental. Punishments if at all needed wouldn't include hurting them. Instead taking away certain privileges which mean a lot to them may work positively.

5. melodyts profile image61
      melodytsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

For me, know the reason first why he committed the mistakes. Weigh the situation and apply the necessary actions to your child like giving him advice or changing something between your relationship, etc. However, when he commits the same mistake again I guess punishment will be the best answer for your question.

2. chanroth profile image49
    chanrothposted 12 years ago

Most importantly is communication. You have to know the reason by the child mistake or problem first before you set a punishment. Proper communication and relationship is the key to open a good relationship with your children and it is also to understand one another. Don't be like my parent. They see mistake and they hit me without telling me my mistake. I turn to make the same mistake twice and so on that it start to become a habit and my fiance was the one who tell me my mistake. I learn it from other people and not my parent. If my parent would of talk to me and tell me my mistake, I wouldn't do the same thing twice. If my parent wouldn't put their hand on me and beat me up without reasonable reason, I wouldn't go through so much miscommunication with them. Therefore, parent should always communicate with their children for any circumstances before set up a punishment.

1. Seafarer Mama profile image78
      Seafarer Mamaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing your experience despite the pain it might cause. Sounds like your fiance is kinder. I hope that keeps up for you. Sorry to hear about your pain growing up.

3. lisabeaman profile image68
    lisabeamanposted 12 years ago

It might depend on their reaction to their own mistake. Did they know it was a mistake? Did they purposefully make a bad decision? Is their attitude one of contrition or rebellion? Are they sorry they did it, or sorry they got caught? Many times the consequences of their mistake is punishment enough. Loving them through it and being understanding will teach them much more than harsh discipline.

I agree with all of the comments on communication. You won't know the answers or how to best respond unless you can talk about it.

4. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

My first reaction is not to overreact.  Then I guess it all depends on what they've done.  I'm not a big believer in punishment.  Usually, I will just talk to them about it and try to make sure they understand there are consequences to their actions and not to do it again. By the time kids are teens, I think they know the difference between right and wrong. As a parent, all you can do is hope you've taught them how to make good choices.

5. aware profile image68
    awareposted 12 years ago

Making things right . Express its importance . No sorry  will do .

6. JherusiaLhean profile image59
    JherusiaLheanposted 12 years ago

For me the most effective way was to be open and have time to discuss and make the things work. Having a punishment will do for discipline but before acting on it, listening to the side of the child will help.

7. rodelmore profile image61
    rodelmoreposted 12 years ago

This is a loaded question. However, I will do my best to assist you.
    When a teen has committed a “horrible misstate” the type or magnitude is important.  If it has to do with breaking the law, one would be compelled to allowing to the justice system to do its job.  If it is not a legal issue you can take a step and back breath a sign of relief.  When asking ourselves “Punishment Vs Understanding we must keep in mind that most teens will make one or two horrible mistakes their life.  What separates your response is the lesson learned.  Did he/she learn something from this? This is not to say there will not be a consequence.  Depending on the issue this could be the perfect training opportunity to capture a memorable moment.  As a father of 9 children, there is never a shortage of training opportunities in my home.  Mistakes will happen and for most a consequence will follow, do not hide this fact from them.  However, convey to him/her that you understand they are human and will make poor judgments in life.  We cannot forget the element of forgiveness and support.  I take comfort in helping my children through their mistakes while the consequence is low.  When they become adults the consequences can be momentous.  Even when a teen screw up and goes to jail, as parents we can be that voice of encouragement.  They will someday look back on this moment and remember your kind but firm words more than the punishment given. Good luck and God Bless.

Rod Elmore
    Life Coach
    Askrodnow.org

8. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

I think it depends on what that "horrible mistake" is, why it was made, and how the young person feels about it (which not all kids are willing/able to be truly candid about, even if they're riddled with shame and guilt over something).

9. sassysexybossy profile image60
    sassysexybossyposted 12 years ago

I think understanding because we've all made mistakes and no matter what my kids do I will always be there for them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)