Hurricane Irene brought up an issue that occurs during every hurricane in which calls for evacuations are made. State governors issue evacuation orders but it is ultimately up to us to decide if we are going to follow those orders. Those who choose to stay do so at their own peril and are told no rescue attempts will be made until after the storm passes. Spouses and significant others often disagree on whether to obey these orders. Do you have personal experience of couples fighting about this and if so how was it resolved?
There hasn't been such a situation between my husband and I - only because we both have had individual experience in that decision making process. We both had lived in Florida for many years before we got together.
Knowing your surroundings, evac zone, sea level, does it flood when it simply rains outside, large looming trees surround your home, you cross a bridge to get to your home, your within 5 miles of the shore line or are close to a river or sound that connects to the ocean, you live in a mobile home. Things like that help in making the decision to stay or leave fairly easy. The construction and age of a home could be important. Do you have supplies on hand to sustain you for a week, (without electicity)?
We have a house generator and are prepared to stay, unless the cat is projected to be a 4 or 5. No brainer there, (remember Andrew 1992?).
Yes I remember seeing photos of Homestead, FL after hurricane Andrew destroyed the town even though I lived in NY state at that time. I believe Hurricane Katrina made landfall in Louisiana as a category 3 and it was after the New Orleans levee was breached the next day that most of the major devastation occurred.
It sounds like you and your husband are very hurricane aware and it's good that you have a plan. Your enumeration of things to consider when making a decision make sense. Those who answer yes to the things you enumerated are wise to leave in advance.
I remember vacationing in the Outer Banks years ago when a Hurricane named Bertha was projected to make landfall on Hattaras Island. We were north of Hattaras but still in the path of the hurricane. I was very aware that there was only a 1 lane highway and 1 bridge to get off off the Island and as soon as officials ordered an evacuation for Hattaras, I turned to my husband and said, "We're leaving. It's only a question of a few more hours before they order evacuations here." Hubby didn't argue and we packed our things and left to return to NY state. An evacuation was ordered for the entire Outer Banks a few hours later, but we were ahead of the massive traffic that ensued. That storm did not cause severe devastation in its wake, but I was still glad we left. Didn't want to be stuck on an island in a house on stilts a few blocks from the Atlantic ocean on one side and a bay on the other side. As you said, those factors made leaving a no-brainer.
Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Copyright © 2017 HubPages Inc. and respective owners.
Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners.
HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc.
HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.