jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Spanking Children? Right or Wrong? Why?

1. Johnjfernando profile image62
    Johnjfernandoposted 5 years ago

When Does Spanking Children Cross The Line From Discipline To Assault?

1. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

When a parent does it in personal frustration instead of in a attempt to teach the child right from wrong.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Spanking is not discipline, it's punishment. Physically punishing children for misbehavior doesn't make sense, especially to a child. It generally teaches kids nothing more than to not get caught next time/or that mom and dad can hit their kids, and sometimes each other!

Pearldiver, where have you been? Missed you! smile

2. Dale Mazurek profile image58
    Dale Mazurekposted 5 years ago

I have never been a believer in spanking.  My wife said I should have spanked the kids more when they were younger LOL. 

I am not against spanking, just for me it wasnt something I wanted to participate in.  After all you still are striking your child.  Now you tell me is it okay ever to strike your child.

There you go.

3. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

You Might be better off asking this question of Monkeys yikes smile

4. jcmayer777 profile image79
    jcmayer777posted 5 years ago

I completely disagree with most, from what I can see so far.

Since when did a spanking become assault or abuse? It's not.  It does NOT qualify for child abuse in a legal sense, contrary to what some people think. 

Of course, there is a line that cannot be crossed, but a whack on the rear end when a young child goes onto the street or something is a real attention getter.

I'm not promoting taking the kids "behind the wood shed" but I see nothing wrong with a spank for certain instances.

5. kerlynb profile image93
    kerlynbposted 5 years ago

Some people may say spanking is right but personally I believe it's wrong.  It creates all these emotional scars and embarrassment and awful memories in children.  I can say this because I personally went through a good amount of spanking when I was a kid.  Luckily I realized how bad it is when I grew up.  Many people do not realize that and so the cycle of spanking sometimes goes on and on.

In the Philippines, where I do live, many parents spank their kids as a form of discipline.  Sometimes, however, I can see that parents do not do it as a form of discipline.  They do it because they are so stressed out in life and their kids become their stress receiver.

Well, parenting can come with plenty of stress so I hope parents would be enlightened enough to know how to relax, breathe, respect kids, and teach them what's right and wrong.

6. recommend1 profile image71
    recommend1posted 5 years ago

Spanking is only right in the same way as getting a punch in the face would be right for making a mistake at work while learning how to do the job.

Any kind of teaching that icludes physical assault is bad teaching and the use of physical aggression is the only lesson that is learned.