jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Cost to raise a child: $226,920

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

That's from birth through age 17, and it doesn't include college. How does your spending compare?
    By MSN Money partner on Tue, Oct 11, 2011 10:03 AM

http://money.msn.com/how-to-budget/arti … 5a50e42650
    This post comes from Miranda Marquit at partner blog Bargaineering.

Every year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture issues new statistics on the cost of raising a child from birth to age 18. The latest report says the average cost is $226,920 -- almost  40% more than a decade ago, CNNMoney reports.

That's for a middle-income, two-parent family with two kids in 2010. The numbers (.pdf file) change if you have a different income, or live in certain areas.

You can go to the USDA website and use its cost of raising a child calculator to get a more personalized view of the cost. According to my income and location, the USDA predicts I'll spend $26,463 a year on my son from birth through age 17. I'm pretty sure I'm not spending that much now. But I thought I'd work it out anyway.

does this figure seem low?

1. 0
      RookerySpoonerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Send them up chimneys. They would then pay for themselves.

2. aware profile image70
    awareposted 5 years ago

worth of said child?

3. wytegarillaz profile image41
    wytegarillazposted 5 years ago

We didn't earn that kind of money to spend on children, however our 3 girls had everything they needed + plenty of love and attention .
    They are all well adjusted hardworking adults now & the oldest has 2 children.

4. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

I think the average cost in Australia is pretty high.
    That amount would only cover the fees at a good private school.

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

By my calculations, a parent would have to spend a little over 13,000 per child until 17 to get that total. I know that's too high for most working class families. Earnest ,yes, if you send them to private school the costs could be higher..

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

Median family income in the US in 2006 was $50,000, or just over $4,000 per month.  Deducting just 25% for taxes leaves $3,000 per month net.  At $227,000 for 17 years, that's about $1,000 per month per child.

I don't know any families that spend 2/3 of their net income supporting 2 children.