jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Have you heard this?

1. Johnjfernando profile image61
    Johnjfernandoposted 5 years ago

I was in my psychology lecture and my professor was discussing a topic on why and how little girls see there parents. I gawked when she said that some little girls have a tendency to like the father having watched how the mother interacts with him and that they tend to be slyishly jealous sometimes when the father's attention is towards the mother.

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Many daughters will marry a man who is very similar to their father! My own daughter has married someone just like me - Oh man - is she in trouble!

2. shea duane profile image79
      shea duaneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's called the Electra Complex... Carl Jung developed the idea that girls have a special affection for their fathers; he called it the Electra complex in reference to the Greek Mythological figure, Electra, who avenged her father's (Agamemnon) murder.

2. baygirl33 profile image60
    baygirl33posted 5 years ago

Yes ,I have seen this many times with little girls. Oftentimes in church you will see a little girl hug her father and touch his face.
    It,s normal it seems.The little girls are very observant and mimic what they more than boys do .Maybe because they get a lot of attention in return.    And yes,at times little girl become jealous of their mother

Some say that little girls marry men like their fathers.

3. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

I don't find it surprising. Meaning, I wouldn't gawk at it. hmm

1. Johnjfernando profile image61
      Johnjfernandoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Haha. Oh no, Cagsil. I meant 'gawk' like shocked in the sense that I found it really new and unheard of thats all. Great to see you here, again! big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image84
        Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I know what you meant. And, since I wouldn't be surprised by it, it wouldn't have shocked me. It's been known for a long time that little girls grow up and marry a man similar to their father.

Just like many women fall for men who uphold their self respect by treating their mother with the highest respect. wink

4. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

Absolutely not the case in my family.  I absolutely loved both of my parents and both made it clear they loved their kids.  My father was "the best father in the world" (everyone liked/loved him, and he was a giving, kind, person who did so much for other people - my mother, too).   

Not when it came to looks, but when it came to what I thought was "nature/personality", I did want to marry someone similar to my father; because he was such a great father.  I thought I did, actually; but I later discovered that I'd really married someone like my mother  lol  lol  (a perfectly wonderful parent and person, but as a social worker in my divorce case pointed out, "not a good match" for me).  lol   What had made it tricky was that both of my parents were good, kind, caring, loving, etc. etc.  It wasn't clear that there were less obvious differences between them - until, of course, I got married and discovered those "finer points".  lol   (That's why my mother took my husband's side when I left the marriage, I guess.  Who'd have guessed that one??  roll)

5. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

I loved both of my wonderful parents, too, and did not have feelings of jealousy. We did not have a huggy-kissy relationship, but my sis and I knew that were were important and protected. I miss both of them very much.
    Psychological theories don't take individuals into account.