jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)

Should single men be allowed to adopt children?

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 4 years ago

Single women are allowed without an issue to adopt children. Are the standards different for single men? What if the child was a girl?

1. Alecia Murphy profile image90
      Alecia Murphyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I don't think adoption should be gender discriminate. I think if you are capable to provide love, affection, guidance, and wisdom to a young child-all the more power to you. I would hope if there are questions about the integrity of the potential adoptive parent, that a background check and psychiatric evaluation would answer those questions.

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Single people of either gender have a tough time adopting children, unless they are very wealthy.

1. helmutbiscut profile image75
        helmutbiscutposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is not the case.  Although finances are verified during the adoption homestudy process, single people are just as capable of adopting as married couples.  I have approved many single people for adoption who were not independently wealthy.  They were subsequently matched with their adopted children.

3. helmutbiscut profile image75
      helmutbiscutposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It is illegal to discriminate based on gender.  I am an adoption assessor, so I am the social worker who interviews prospective adoptive parents and completes their adoption homestudy.  There are certain risks that either man or woman- married or single- assume when adopting an older child- male or female.  If the child has a history of manipulative behavior or making false allegations against caregivers, the parent is opening themselves up to a lot of issues. 

Also, if I child has been abused sexually or physically, certain care is taken to protect the child.  It is not discrimination if the child and prospective adoptive parent are not considered to be a good match (if the child does not feel safe, etc.).  The well-being of the child is the most important factor when finding an appropriate home- not the sex of the adoptive parent.

4. 0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

this is not a question with the millions of single fathers most everyone is aware of, my x husband is one.  What is the real question roll

5. Pearldiver profile image86
      Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Clearly You are NOT Male! I Object to such BS Intimations like this! sad
      We ARE NOT All sexual deviates you know! In fact where I come from our deviant rate is one third of what it is in Kentucky! yikes

1. 0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

possibly nor a parent!

2. Leaderofmany profile image60
        Leaderofmanyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Actually I am a parent of two boys, that are parents. Both do extremely well. I also work with a lot of single fathers. It was a question  posed to get a general idea of how others felt with happenings within our country of late.

6. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, and so should single women providing they have the means and resources to bring the child up properly.  What's properly?  IMO, well fed, companionable one on one time, good bedding/room, education, family ties of any kind whether familial blood line or close knit group, social contact with other children, well developed/stable parent, lots of love, understanding, and tolerance.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

"Should single men be allowed to adopt children?"

Couples first?

3. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago

Definitely, as long as they can demonstrate that they will be responsible parents (the way other people are expected to demonstrate the same) There's enough kids in care etc. Seems stupid to discriminate in this way.

4. msshandriaball profile image71
    msshandriaballposted 4 years ago

I am going to answer this question with a question.
    What does gender have to do with parenting?

1. Shalini Kagal profile image80
      Shalini Kagalposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ditto! I know so many men who make the most amazing parents!

5. ikechiawazie profile image67
    ikechiawazieposted 4 years ago

Many single men are good parents but by nature women are good in chidren upbringing. i feel that men should be allowed but there should be policies and requirements stated.