jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

A 13-pound baby named Jihad was born in Berlin

1. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

By Mikaela Conley

Nov 25, 2011 6:29pm
    13-Pound Baby Named Jihad Born in Germany

A 13-pound baby named Jihad was born in Berlin early on Friday to a 528-pound unidentified mother at Berlins Charity© hospital, according to Germanys English news site, the Local.

Baby Jihad, who joins 13 siblings, is reportedly the largest baby born naturally in Germany. Doctors said his 40-year-old mother suffered from gestational diabetes and likely a metabolic disorder, as well.  While the woman reportedly said she did not know she had diabetes, doctors said she in fact was aware of her condition, but ate too many sweet foods.

She insisted on a vaginal birth despite the very high risk, Dr. Wolfgang Henrich, chief physician at Charites obstetrics clinic, told the Local. We usually advise mothers carrying a child with an estimated weight of more than 4.5 kilos (about 10 pounds) to opt for a cesarean section to avoid complications.
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011 … in-germany
    well another overweight baby born to an overweight mom..naming the baby Jihad is bad enough...i see some problems coming down the pike

2. chanroth profile image74
    chanrothposted 4 years ago

YIKES! It's so sad!

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image78
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 4 years ago

My grandmother who bore 13 children had a 13 lb baby, but of course she did not have that weight problem. Six of the seven died. The 13 pounder survived.

4. shea duane profile image81
    shea duaneposted 4 years ago

so very strange!

5. Diane Inside profile image87
    Diane Insideposted 4 years ago

big babies are not unuasual the big mother is the real story.

my baby brother was eleven pounds he is 38 now and normal size.

my grandfather was 12 pounds and also average size, both mothers were average size boys just ran big in our family.

Baby girls were normal 6 - 7 pound babies, its not that unusual to have big babies.

6. genupher profile image61
    genupherposted 4 years ago

"Ouch" does not seem adequate. I cannot believe she insisted on a vaginal birth despite the danger to the child. Choice of name might have been a bad idea ... teasing will definitely be a big part of her son's life when he hits grade school.