jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (19 posts)

Divorce, the law and Marriage

1. karobi profile image70
    karobiposted 5 years ago

Hi every body, the thread now in the society about divorce is alarmingly high. in your candid opinion, is the law protecting the institution is meant to protect or is actually eroding marriage and encouraging divorce?
    Do you advocate for a review or what?

1. LookingForWalden profile image61
      LookingForWaldenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't understand exactly what you mean.

What laws are you speaking of?

Are you talking about America?

To my knowledge divorce has been on the decline for years now and even more so because of the economy .

2. ikechiawazie profile image59
    ikechiawazieposted 5 years ago

The problem with the law is that it makes people concious of divorce. What I mean is that because people are aware that they are protected by the law, they tend to abuse it. I do support the law in marriage but it takes away responsibility in marriage and introduces demand which sometimes can be exhausting.
    What the government should do is to try and educate the public on the morals of marriage. Trying to review the law would not really solve the problem. if people could focus on making it work out in their marriage, then divorce rate would reduce.

3. Greek One profile image78
    Greek Oneposted 5 years ago

I think all divorce lawyers should be rounded up and sent straight to Hell

karobiposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for your comment. But do you really think that will solve the problem of the rising profile of divorce? Don't you think that they are just interpreting the laws that is being laid down? is it not the laws that is the problem?

1. Greek One profile image78
        Greek Oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

i think lawyers are leeches who encourage (for their own personal gain) the use of the law (which is also garbage) as a tool to bash all parties at the expense of the children and any assets the couple may have.

1. Paul Wingert profile image80
          Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It isn't the laywers, although I like your comment about sending them to hell lol, it's the laws that vary stae to state. Not all divorces involved lawyers, my divorce was lawyerless. There's also the pre-nup agreementby that has to be made sure it is binding by taking it to one of those leeches.

2. Daniel Carter profile image91
      Daniel Carterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Along with the exwives who hired them.

4. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 5 years ago

I always make sure to get a pre-nup. That way when the end comes, and it always does, at least I'm protected.

1. Captain Redbeard profile image60
      Captain Redbeardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Always make sure huh? Isn't that what is being described here? Law encouraging divorce by keeping this little paper handy for when things get sticky and always having the D-car ngine running just in case?

People just quit all to often. It's sad.

I totally agreed with you people quit all too often. I think because they are matured enough to dive into marriage, the matured in quote please.

5. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 5 years ago

Divorce? Who needs that! Just learn how to use this skillfully
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5842177_f248.jpg

1. Greek One profile image78
      Greek Oneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

that is the crudest marital aid i have ever seen

6. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

My friend's imagined alternative to divorce is a baseball bat.  Mine has always been:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn19/adbgdo/bc7432_cast_iron_skillet.jpg   (Hey - I wouldn't be out to just give someone a nasty bruise on the noggin.  I'd be out to knock them straight through the floor, the basement floor, and whatever else is under the house.)

7. ikechiawazie profile image59
    ikechiawazieposted 5 years ago

To karobi. If you beleive the law is the problem, remember that people create laws; laws dont create themselves. As long as laws are made by people then, they can also be broken by people. When people understand the responsiblities in marriage, then there will be no need for divorce

Ikechiawazie, that as it may be, that law are created by people and can also be broken by people, is where the challenge is. because the law is one sided and is being exploited by this same people against themselves hence the call for review. If you are breast with news recently you will understand what I am talking about.

8. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

All I know is that when I expressed my wish to get a divorce, a counselor (dragged into the case by someone in The System) thought it was his business to say, "We're just getting to together to see if a divorce really ought happen."  I was thinking, "Look, Buddy.  If I say a divorce is going to happen it's not your business or right to think you have any input on the matter!"  mad  mad

In other words, from my experience, The System (the government) where I live butts into people's business way too much and has no business trying to get involved with preventing divorces.  As for marriages; as it is, the law gets involved with making a marriage legal.  Beyond that, the law has no business dabbling (or inflicting itself) into marriage and/or divorce.

As for the moron who thought he had a right to an opinion in my personal divorce (after I'd been thinking about it for about five years and made my decision based on knowing there was no other option whatsoever), I made a big stink about it to the lawyer involved and pointed out that besides over-stepping his/The System's bounds, there was the chance this guy was being discriminatory against women by thinking I (or anyone else) gave a rat's bottom about his opinion in whether I ought to get a divorce or not.

1. profile image0
      Aunt Mollieposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Your divorce was a personal decision.  No one makes such a decision lightly.  Kudos to you for sticking up to yourself.  You have a right to receive a divorce just as you had a right to choose marriage.

9. Paul Wingert profile image80
    Paul Wingertposted 5 years ago

I believe one of the reasons why divorces are high these days is because people in this day and age realize that life is too short to put up with someone's (like your spouse) crap. Why should someone be stuck in a relationship with a spouse who is abusive or neglects their family? The idea of making a promise to "god" that you'll stick with someone through thick and thin is nonsense. You're not marrying "god", you're marrying this person who claims to love and cherish you.

working