jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Is Facebook, texting and other social media ruining todays children?

1. Leaderofmany profile image60
    Leaderofmanyposted 4 years ago

Children today use so many ways of talking with each other without person to person contact. Is this limiting them socially? Will they have the skills to needed to interact with others?

1. Alecia Murphy profile image89
      Alecia Murphyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think you have a great point. Face to face interaction does so much for the heart and soul that facebooking/tweeting/etc cannot do. I think we have to push kids to still be kids and by that I mean playdates for younger kids and times to hang out for older kids. You can't really know a person without seeing and interacting with them.

2. tlmcgaa70 profile image73
      tlmcgaa70posted 4 years ago in reply to this

there are many things that have changed from when i was a kid. we played outside with our siblings and friends. we did not play video games unless we visited our grandparents, where our grandpa had an atari console with many fun games, and still we never played on it for more than an hour at a time. todays kids live in video game land and tv. some of which portrays very violent behaviours and creates an unreal world for the kids. of all these things though, i think they have an advantage with social media sites like tweeting and facebook. the reason being they can now interact with people from all over the world and learn from them. something i would have loved. perhaps it should not be used for people they see every day...but then, sometimes it is nice to say hi without having to have a lengthy conversation attached to that. i think more parents should consider the benefits of spending quality time with their children as a family.

2. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 4 years ago

I'll go as far as to say that some technology isn't actually a great thing. hmm

3. rbe0 profile image61
    rbe0posted 4 years ago

no. the instantaneous properties of the internet are building our species children to be stronger than ever before possible. knowledge at the click of a button. you are free to let your mind roam, no need for book smarts when you can just tap into the internet immediately and find the answer.

Imagine how it will be when we are all neurologically directly connected to the knowledge base freely available to us in the form of teh internet.

being able to access the internet thru a personal portal (such as an oculus that could be placed over your eye, a very tiny monitor that could be placed over your eye and worn at all times) this is no longer science fiction. this only needs to be implemented by someone with the tools and power.

in a way, it already has. smartphones. but the combining of the human mind with the internet in a way that is yet not in existence is just around the corner.

1. rbe0 profile image61
      rbe0posted 4 years ago in reply to this

science fiction is quickly becoming science fact.

although it will never be as cool at this picture..

but you WILL be assimilated, like it or not... wink