jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Somehow The Holidays Seem Less Meaningful Once Your Children Grow Older And Move

1. miss butterfly profile image61
    miss butterflyposted 5 years ago

When the kids were younger, "Holiday Time" was one of the  most adored times of the year. Now that one has moved out, and the other is quickly approaching adulthood, somehow the holiday excitement shared many years before...is dwindling.  Is this part of the "empty nest syndrome"? I hope so because I want my holiday excitement back!!! 

1. tsarnaudova profile image81
      tsarnaudovaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am still on the stage when my children are small. I have two daughters, the elder is 11, the younger is almost 3. But I remember when I got married, that my parents were feeling in similar way, like you describe. They were happy when we visitted on Christmas, on Easter, especially when children were born. Perhaps now you're going to feel different joy, new experience with your grown kids. Don't lose hope, miss butterfly, you still can have happy holiday time.

2. miss butterfly profile image61

Thanks so much! I am trying!!

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Start new traditions.  Not meaning to sound simplistic but it's the only way to move past the empty nest syndrome.

3. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

Butterfly, I know how you feel. I felt the same way when my three daughters grew up and moved out of the house. BUT...I didn't have to wait long for the grandkids to start arriving! Now I have 8, and the holidays are a blast!!

4. miss butterfly profile image61

Starting new traditions is something I look forward to Couturepopcafe....that advice does not sound simplistic at all. Thanks!

5. miss butterfly profile image61

Habee! So there is light at the end of the tunnel? :-). I heard grandkids are SOOOO cool!! I can certainly understand how they made your holidays happy once again!! Thanks!!

1. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Grandkids are amazing!! I used to laugh at grandparents who did stuff like showed everyone pics of the grands and talked about their grands all the time. I get it now!

1. miss butterfly profile image61
        miss butterflyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

:-)

working