jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Why Women Have Cold Feet

1. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 4 years ago

I know why women's feet often feel cold but men's don't. Heat rises - your babies and small children play on the floor - mommy's feet get cold so she'll know the littles need warmer clothes on.

1. rbe0 profile image59
      rbe0posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Are you high.

1. TLMinut profile image60
        TLMinutposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Not even particularly tall! big_smile

No, I was just noticing my feet feeling cold and remembering when I always had babies crawling around on the floor. It made me keep them warmly dressed. They hated it though (all boys) when they got older and I told them, "Go put some more clothes on, I'm cold!"

2. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Are you having a laugh?

3. Anil and Honey profile image40
      Anil and Honeyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Men's body is stronger than women's. Ladies mind is stronger than men's.but feelings are equal.

4. Daniella Lopez profile image87
      Daniella Lopezposted 4 years ago in reply to this

My husband and I are the opposite of norm... I usually have warm feet and his are always ice cycles. But we're probably just strange. =P

2. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 4 years ago

It makes perfectly good sense to me though I do find it a bit funny. I don't know any men who say their feet get cold. Neither do I know any little girls who will run outside for something in the snow barefooted but I've seen plenty of little boys do so - not just mine, lots of boys.

3. Lisa HW profile image83
    Lisa HWposted 4 years ago

It has to do with estrogen and the way temperature is regulated in women (and can also be related to metabolism and/or high or low blood pressure).  Blood rushes to internal organs when the temperature around the person drops even a little.  The skin senses it, and blood starts going to internal organs (rather than hands and feet) (because of the reproductive role of women).

BUT, the thing about the little kids around the floor is a cuter theory.  smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you on this but I believe it applies to people in general.  It has to do with the core of the brain which, as you said, alerts the body to send all protection to the core of the body.  A similar thing happens during fight or flight.  The brain signals the body to send blood away from the extremities so they don't overbleed.

1. Lisa HW profile image83
        Lisa HWposted 4 years ago in reply to this

From what I understand, though, the fight-or-flight response is one thing (and shared by both sexes, of course;  is generally the larger "picture" within which the "cold hands/cold feet thing" operates), but the thing with slight temperature differences being detected by the skin and the fact that women are more likely than men to get cold hands and feet as a result can amount to women having a different (and/or more sensitive, maybe) "circulatory response". 

At least some arteries can be smaller in women than in men; so factoring in another part of the fight-or-fight response, which is that arteries constrict under stress/"perceived threat" as a way of preventing bleeding to death. 

With narrower arteries and a being designed to be more sensitive to some things than men are, I'd think these two things alone make for a "double-whammy chance" of women having those cold feet and hands more often than men to.

Oh, make that triple-whammy:  A lot of women don't wear the same kind of big, heavy, shoes and socks that a lot of men do.   smile