jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

peer pressure and its effect on our youth

1. laderrick profile image60
    laderrickposted 4 years ago

For generations we all have been face with some tough choices that could have,or did change the way we viewed life. I know for me,I dealt with a giant that everyone rather knowingly or unknowingly had to face PEER PRESSURE. The influences of my peers played a major role in my life. The decisions I made just to fit in with the crowd,the clothes I chose to wear,even the way I talk told something about the people I hung around.In still today this is going on in our kids life. But as parents what are some clues,are early warning signs we should look out for? by LaDerrick Williams

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

When you see or smell one of these.

[One of a dozen pics I could have posted. There are a lot of traps out there...]

1. leahlefler profile image98
      leahleflerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure if I'm more worried about the cigarette or the fact that it says, "serial killer!"

3. leahlefler profile image98
    leahleflerposted 4 years ago

I'd keep an eye out for any deviation from the kid's typical behavior - self isolation, skipping school, slipping grades, etc.

On the other hand, not all peer pressure is negative peer pressure. I was with a pretty good group of kids and the peer pressure enforced academic success (helps when you're a geek and your friends are all geeks, too). In other words, if your kid is being influenced by the chess club, try not to worry too much.

4. rodelmore profile image61
    rodelmoreposted 4 years ago

Teens mood often times will change with negative peer pressure.  Some cannot eat, concentrate or ever have difficulty carrying on an in-depth conversation due their mind being preoccupied.  The only true way to know is to continuously talk to your child and provide an atmosphere that conducive to your child feeling comfortable talking with you.  Children are pros at recalling our response the last time they brought a similar issue to us.   

Many times as parents we look at peer pressure as a bad thing.  Peer pressure can also be used to convince one’s sphere of influence to engage in pro-social behavior.  When a child convinces his/her friends to send get well cards to the teacher or make a new kid feel welcome into a new class room.  I believe we as parents play a huge role in the manifestation of this concept.  I am in no means trivializing the negative side of peer pressure.  I do however promote positive social behavior.  The only way to get rid of bad habits is a life style change.  Your positive influence is contagious!
    Rod Elmore
    Life Coach

5. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Yes, there are many teens who succumb to peer pressure because they want to belong and be part of a group.   Many teens will do anything to belong to a crowd because being part of a group give them status.   The worst thing in many teens' lives is to be excluded from their peer group.  In the eyes of many teens this will make them losers.

However, there are stronger teens who are quite individualistic and nonconformists.  These are usually the so-called unpopular ones who refuse to succumb to peer influence, often going their own way than to mindlessly follow the crowd.  I was one of those teens.   I have cut off many friends because they were doing what I thought was wrong.  Yes, I went my own way and I was happy that I did.   When I was young, my main influences were my parents, not my peers and as I get older, I was my influence.

6. ALUR profile image67
    ALURposted 4 years ago

Building confidence, sending kids to help other kids in need and support for them is essential. I find my girls not so easily swayed if their confidence is not waning.