jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (17 posts)

Opposites Attract - don't they?

1. maestrowhit profile image61
    maestrowhitposted 8 years ago

I like fish - she hates fish

She reads g-rated romance - I read Henry Miller

She likes order - I like clutter

I'm very punctual - she's frequently late

I like to run my mouth - she likes silence

I'm bad with money - she's a bank-teller

I'm spontaneous - she plans everything

I'm self-reliant - she is a team-player

[b]But I love her SOOOO much!!!!

How about you?

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 8 years ago in reply to this
    2. Ardie profile image90
      Ardieposted 8 years ago in reply to this

My husband and I are complete opposites too.  Our list would sound almost exactly like you and your wife's list!  But it seems to work really well for us.  This is my second marriage, and in my first one we were exactly alike and we went nowhere, fast.  The second time around, with all the differences my husband and I seem to balance each other perfectly.  I can be way too serious at times and he helps me laugh.  He doesnt take much seriously and I help him know when to stop making jokes smile

Im sure this wont be the case for everyone, but it keeps my marriage interesting - even after 5 1/2 years.

2. aka-dj profile image79
    aka-djposted 8 years ago

It's all about balance. You (we) balance each other out. Let's face it, neither 'extreme" is good.

1. Rangerwife profile image60
      Rangerwifeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I agree.  Balance is the key.

3. maestrowhit profile image61

There's more where that came from, believe me. It's great though.

4. maestrowhit profile image61

Been married less than a year. It's totally worth it. Nothing bad about some healthy changes.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Marriage is wonderful and I personally wouldn't change it for the world. Although it may have its ups and downs love is a many splendored thing. smile

1. Nuel Anthony profile image61
        Nuel Anthonyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Finding someone compatible is very important, no matter the differences in character or behaviour. The main aim of every relationship is for partners to be able to bear each other afterall thats what love is all about!

2. Rangerwife profile image60
      Rangerwifeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I've been married for 3 years, and even though we have differences, it was the best decision I've ever made.  I really married Price Charming (well, he's PC most of the time).

5. TravelMonkey profile image60
    TravelMonkeyposted 8 years ago

Glad your happy Rangerwife.

It sounds like an interesting recipe, most people would attempt to find similar partners.

1. maestrowhit profile image61
      maestrowhitposted 8 years ago in reply to this

That's the funny thing - in my case. When I found my wife, I was't looking. When I met her, a relationship with her was the last thing on my mind. We just found out over time and getting to know each other that we were totally compatible - even with all the differences.

1. t.keeley profile image83
        t.keeleyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Believe it or not, the similarities were what attracted me in the first place, but like Maestro I wasn't looking at all. It just sort of landed on my lap and I ran with it, and exactly one year after meeting to the day we were married. I think the personality is balanced, but everything we do/like is very aligned, so I feel we're two of the same kind of person, just one is happy and the other [me] is pissy.

1. TravelMonkey profile image60
          TravelMonkeyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I found my partner when we both wanted the single life. We met and went on a couple of dates both trying to obtain the casual goal but then both fell in love and now we're so happy. We are very opposing with many things but I think I give her what she hasn't got and vice versa, so together we are complete.

6. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 8 years ago

A few times I have been intrigued by some one who is the opposite of myself, but after awhile the novelty wears off.  I tend to disagree too often with someone who is opposite of me, so it is not worth the arguments.  However, some people thrive off arguments, I prefer a peaceful environment myself.

7. purefitness profile image64
    purefitnessposted 8 years ago

I have always gone for the complete opposite of myself, if truth be known.  Sometimes it has worked, especially if the relationship was casual and other times it has been an absolute nightmare.

As long as you can talk to each other and have the same sense of humour, then you have a good chance of making a relationship work - opposites or not.

8. binkier1109 profile image69
    binkier1109posted 8 years ago

Being somewhat opposites set you aside. I mean if you were both the exact same, life would become pretty boring, don't you think? My husband and I are complete opposites, he lives for Bill O Reilly, and I live for The Hills, he loves country music, I'm a sucker for pop music, etc. We both debate about many things, now if we both were the same, imagine how many conversations would be lost or how many disagreements are out the window. Opposites are great! I wouldn't have it any other way!

working