jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Should Parents Share The Life Experiences With Their Child/Children?

1. Menjia_Rose profile image60
    Menjia_Roseposted 4 years ago

Should we as parents share our life experiences with our children? Do you as a parent think sharing your experiences with them actually makes a difference?

1. couturepopcafe profile image61
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think so, absolutely. My mother will be 90 next month and there are things she's telling me now that I wish I'd known long ago. Just things about dates she had as girl, letters she received from my dad during the war, things her parents did, her dreams as a girl, how life moved for them.

Even stories about the old people help guide a child's perspective and decision making. It colors their world. Even the mistakes their parents made.

2. Kris Heeter profile image86
    Kris Heeterposted 4 years ago

While I am not a parent, I believe that parents should.  My parents did with us we we were growing up. I also think that grandparents should share they life experiences as well.  There is so much that can be learned from past generations. 

My grandmother shared her life experiences growing up during the Depression and what it was like during WWII  - because of that I think I have a much greater appreciation for "how good we have it" right now.

3. Disturbia profile image62
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

I think it depends on the experiences, but in general, it's a good thing.  It helps kids develop a stronger sense of self and identity to have knowledge of where they come from, who their parents and grandparents were, and how they lived their lives. My daughters have two different fathers, one a musician and the other an artist, so I have shared many of the stories of our travels and what life was like "on the road" with my musician husband, etc. It's mostly the way the girls have come to know their fathers and their families.