jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

What precautions do you take to keep kids safe from sexual predators?

1. Melis Ann profile image96
    Melis Annposted 4 years ago

It seems parents are very comfortable sending children for playdates or to camps during the summer. That level of comfort never came for me sending my kids. What do parents do to ensure safety or get over that fear?

1. Druid Dude profile image59
      Druid Dudeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Kids are at risk because of today's standards. Whenever adults are involved, we need watchers to watch the watchers. Sad, but true. Nothing less

2. Marisa Wright profile image91
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The truth is, there are no more sexual predators around today, than there were 50 years ago.  It just wasn't reported in the media then.

In fact, the great majority of sexual predators are friends of the family or members of the family, not strangers.  So it's a great shame such hysteria has been whipped up over "stranger danger" when in fact the likelihood of anything happening is minimal.

1. calpol25 profile image76
        calpol25posted 4 years ago in reply to this

That is very true Marissa - most crimes not just sexual are mainly committed by some one whom the victim knows or the family knows.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image91
    Shesabutterflyposted 4 years ago

I think education is the best way to ensure not only safety but letting go of that fear. Like calpol25 said over half of any child abuse, sexual or physical is committed by someone they know. It has also been proven that sexual abuse is declining, however I know most sexual abuse is never reported.

The best thing to do is educate your children and yourself. Being a parent can be tough, but through education you can keep your children safe and your mind at ease.