jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)

What Has Been the Most Trying Period For You as a Parent?

1. Justjed profile image60
    Justjedposted 4 years ago

The most trying time for me though in the past now but the memory still fresh was when my son was not eating but vomiting and stooling at the same time. The boy that was chubby suddenly became scrawny and when I looked at him or had reasons to discus him with somebody, I was always moved to tears. The whole period was a week but I can say, that was one of the most trying time for me.

1. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Having a sick child can be so frightening.  My most trying time as a parent was the teen years of my oldest daughter.  She was always a great kid, no problems there.  But once she fell in love, I think she was pulling away from childhood things and she hated everything I said.  She literally got angry with me once because she showed me something in a catalog and I didn't care for it.

It was a brief period but I was glad when it passed because I felt like I went from a being good mom to the mom who irritated her with every word.

2. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image79
    ThussaysNanaMarieposted 4 years ago

Not knowing how to support my children the day their father died.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago in reply to this

i bet that was extremely trying...peace

3. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image79
    ThussaysNanaMarieposted 4 years ago

Thankyou! It was a trying and shocking time.

1. guerrykathy profile image60
      guerrykathyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So sorry you had to go through that-I can't imagine. Parenting does try our every resource I think. In every action and reaction, we are teaching our children how to deal with lilfe's challenges. I hope you and your children are  well and happy. (By the way, I love your user name.)

1. ThussaysNanaMarie profile image79
        ThussaysNanaMarieposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You can say that again! We are okay but it always feels like yesterday and family milestones are harder. Growing up as teenagers can be distressing too because of the demand that age makes on a parent. We are happy and very well. Thank God.

4. lovelife08 profile image60
    lovelife08posted 4 years ago

Well, my daughter is less than a year old, so I haven't really had much time to have very many hardships. But we did have one big one when she was 3 months old.

She started having grand mal seizures and we made two trips to the hospital back-to-back. As soon as we got home from the first trip, the very next day she had another one, and we went right back. Both trips were 2-3 nights each.

I tell you what, there is NOTHING like watching your 3-month-old have a seizure and not being able to do anything but watch. That is the worst feeling a mother can feel...powerlessness.

1. Diane Inside profile image87
      Diane Insideposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I dont have any children but I can only imagine how that would have been such a terrifying time.  Hope she is okay now.

1. lovelife08 profile image60
        lovelife08posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oh, yes, she is fine, thank you. smile

They prescribed Keppra. It is FANTASTIC.

If you come across anyone who has seizures, have them ask their doctor about it.

5. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 4 years ago

May of 1976 when my first son was born through February 2016 when my fifth son will be leaving home.

6. LoriSoard profile image80
    LoriSoardposted 4 years ago

Definitely the teen years. There is a reason why babies come out all cuddly and cute. It is so you'll forget that they turn into teenagers one day. I'm just kidding, kind of. I love my teen girls to pieces and it is exciting to see the women they are becoming. Still, they are teens and they try me some days.

7. loopylou2012 profile image60
    loopylou2012posted 4 years ago

The most trying period for me as a parent was when my son was really ill in hospital, at first the doctors thought it was meningitis and that was the worst thing they could ever tell me, but thankfully it wasn't it was a really really bad virus which took him a few weeks to recover from. He Has been in and out of hospital with many illness including severe tonsilitis, they were worrying but not as bad as that time.

8. Dawn Conklin profile image80
    Dawn Conklinposted 4 years ago

We have had little issues such as fights with homework and other typical child issues.  But our most trying time (our children are not teens yet) was having to bring our youngest daughter in for surgery on the eye muscles.  She was 3 at the time and I felt so bad for her to have to go through it.  Her eyes were so red and irritated as the surgery is a laser that goes through the whites of the eyes.  We had to give her eye drops that really burned her already irritating eyes-I felt like a horrible mother putting my daughter through this.  It was a necessary procedure tho.  She recovered well and took the whole surgery better then I did!

9. Justjed profile image60
    Justjedposted 4 years ago

Dawn, It is great to hear that she took the surgery well