jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Teen marriage

1. LailaK profile image79
    LailaKposted 4 years ago

You have a very mature 15 year old daughter who wants to get married to her boyfriend who is a 17 year old young man....would you let her? Why? Remember that both parties are mature and serious about this.

1. ananceleste profile image81
      anancelesteposted 4 years ago in reply to this

The fact that they are so adamant to get married at this point in time, proves that they have no idea what they are talking about.

Talking from experience. I married my husband when I was 17 and he was 22, even though we are still together 20 years later, we both agree that it was a stupid move.

2. 87
      win-winresourcesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hi Laila-

From your posts today, I guess this relationship is foremost on your mind.

In my many years of working with high school students (and having two of my own), I confirmed what I learned from six years in graduate school - the human body develops far faster than the emotional or intellectual capacities.

I have never seen a 15 year old, or a 17 year old for that matter, that was anywhere near being ready for a lifetime commitment.  The responsibilities of a spouse, job, children, school, social and everything else that goes with marriage are simply beyond the capacitites of children this young.

The fact that they are "serious" clearly indicates they are not "mature".

2. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

Heck no! I go to a Mormon university, which means that girls tend to get married as teenagers-- very young- around 19, although I know a few 18 year old Freshmen who live in the same dorm as me who are getting married and I can't stand it! I don't know WHY on earth they want to get married so quickly and so young... I want to study abroad, and have a career and experience living alone and other things. I can't imagine getting married that young. I can't even imagine wanting to get married at 15... what the heck do you even know about life at 15, regardless of how mature you are?

I'm pretty sure at 15 I was obsessed with Miley Cyrus, got nervous even going into a boy's bedroom (to help him study!) and made every little thing incredibly dramatic. I mean, what's the rush to get married so young? She'd be in high school for crying out loud! How are either of them going to support themselves?

If it were my daughter, I'd put my foot down really hard on that relationship.