Marriage of your kids & religion

1. LailaK profile image79
    LailaKposted 4 years ago

If you are from a certain religion, would you let your son or daughter marry an individual from another religion? Does your answer vary on what religion the other party is? Why? Explain your answer.

1. Shanna11 profile image91
      Shanna11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know my parents want me to marry a Mormon guy (which I probably will). I know they'd always love me, regardless of what religion my spouse believed in though. With my own kids... I would just want to see them happy, safe and successful at whatever they wanted to do.

2. 86
      win-winresourcesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hello Laila-

This is a tough one.  One, I believe, is really dependent on the age of the child being married.  For those of us who have a religion as an integral part of our lives, it is difficult to not see that religion perpetuated. 

That said, an adult is entitled to make their own decisions.  A decision that they can reasonably expect their parents to honor.

You (the parents), can only teach (and demonstrate) your religion to your children as best as you can.  Should they choose to practice something else as an adult, you can only believe that their decision is an informed one that meets their needs.

I have always believed and lived the idea that I know what religion is right for me.  I have no idea what's right for someone else - that's their business,  and that must logically apply to my grown children.

I love, trust and honor them, and would continue to do so regardless of their religious choice.