Confidence vs. over-confidence in children

1. LailaK profile image80
    LailaKposted 4 years ago

In child-development, we are taught that a child's self-esteem is very valuable and that you as a parent or a teacher should not scratch it. Some teachers are ordered to grade homework in colors other than red. On soccer games, both teams get medals so that all the kids would feel like winners. Is this good or bad? How is affecting our children today? Should we teach our kids that "you win some and you lose some?" Or should they always feel like winners?

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This is a hard question or topic..I see both sides of the issue.
      if we adults give the kids the impression that they can do anything and everyone is a winner, they'll be crushed when they grow up and learn that isn't the truth.
      On the other hand, if we continue to name kids winners and losers, then they may never develop to their full potential.
      I don't know the answer.

2. Monisajda profile image84
    Monisajdaposted 4 years ago

There is no real answer to this question. I think it really depends on a particular child and particular situation. I let my kids feel good about themselves and be winners but there are moments I want to teach them that other people's feelings are important,too. The point is to foster their self-esteem but not to blow it to catastrophic proportions. I have seen kids who are rude and lacking in many ways and yet they are often very confident, to the point where it is disgusting. This makes me feel there have been some mistakes made. And there are kids who are lovely and nurturing and smart but not self-confident at all.
    As with everything, there should be a good balance. I love my kids and I can say they both have pretty good self-esteem so I am not afraid to criticize them or correct their behavior.