jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Children of Highly Educated Parents Have A Better Start In Life

1. gmwilliams profile image82
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Children of parents who are college educated and better have a higher vocabulary than children of parents who are not college educated.  College educated parents often spend more time reading and engaging with their children than non-college educated parents who usually do not read to their children. 

College educated parents have the wherewithal to take their children to museums and expose them to other cultural and educational activities.   Furthermore, college educated parents have more books and other intellectual paraphernalia in their homes.  College educated parents show by example that learning and education is fun and adventurous so their children learn by example.   Studies further authenticate that children of parents who are college educated have better academic skills when they enter elementary school than children whose parents are non-college educated.  Your premise on this, please.

1. tohimilook profile image60
      tohimilookposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't think this is necessarily true.  At least not here in the Caribbean or in Barbados.   I do not have a college education and my husband have, (he was a teacher)  But I taught our children to read before they entered elementary school.  I would read to them every night when they were two years old. From the time they were 6 years old I took them to the library to borrow books.  Although my husband was a school teacher, I did most of the teaching of the children. One of my sons has a Masters in Microbiology and is doing his Phd.  Here in the Barbados there are lots of children who do well academically whose parents are  not college educated.  As a matter of fact there are students of highly educated people whose children do not achieve as much as those of non-college educated.   I personally believe that the family structure, the family environment where the childen see love and respect has a lot do with the success of a child's academic success.

One of the things I believe the children of the Caribbean have over their counterparts in USA is the fact that our children have black teachers who encourage them and instill within them a desire to be successful.   The majority of parents here are involved in the Parent Teachers Association. Barbados is really blessed since our education system is based on the British.  I read somewhere that some blacks in England are opting to send their children back to the Caribbean for their education.  I know a young man whose mother is from Barbados she lived in the USA and the young man was borned there, she sent him  back to Barbados at the age of 10 and he attended secondary school.  He stayed with his extended family and after his secondary education he returned to the USA.  Another couple returned to Barbados after living in USA so that their children could attend high school here.  They eventually returned to the USA and the children are all doctors. Another couple sent back their two sons from England and they attended one of our high schools here and one of them is study at one of the most prestigious colleges in England.   (The parents of all these studens are not college educated.  As a matter of fact all of the had ONLY a high school education.  I am not sure if this assertion is true.  It maybe just a generalisation.   Just my two cent worth.

1. tohimilook profile image60
        tohimilookposted 5 years ago in reply to this

OOps my typing tonight is awful.   Studying not study.

1. gmwilliams profile image82
          gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for your reply.  Let us keep the discussion going.

working