jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Is there any health implications when a child drinks too much water

1. Justjed profile image61
    Justjedposted 4 years ago

I recently dewormed my 17 months old baby. After, that exercise, his appetite increased and the craving for water. Infact the way, he drinks water almost evrytime is gradually becoming a source of concern to me. He is chubby, looks ok and he is usual self but what I noticed was that he weight increased. Is there any health implication to a baby asking for water all the time

1. Dale Hyde profile image88
      Dale Hydeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am all for holistic treatments and all for many, however any such actions taken with such a young child needs to be supervised. Your deworming could have created dehydration problems.  Always work with such youngsters under supervision that deal with youngsters.

2. 86
    win-winresourcesposted 4 years ago

Hi Justjed-

Not sure what dewormed means...
    Anyway, in absentia diagnosis is foolhardy at best.
    Increased thirst is a common symptom of Diabetes, as is weight fluctuations.

Suggest you take the child to a pediatrician.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As an ex-nurse I would agree with this too. Quite often the first symptom showing in a child with type 1 diabetes is an excessive thirst.

Of course, it could be something innocent, but better safe than sorry.

3. mcgreg28 profile image59
    mcgreg28posted 4 years ago

What do you consider drinking too much water? An implication could be electrolyte imbalance which could be very dangerous. An indication for diabetes would be the 3 P's (polyuria, polydipsia, polyphagia) as opposed to an isolated increase in thirst.