Names for your Children

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. charmike4 profile image66
    charmike4posted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6416344_f248.jpg
    Planning to have children? What would you call them?

Have children what did you call them and why?

We have Samuel and named him from the bible as his mother, Hannah was thought to be barren. This fitted us as Sam is an IVF baby.

Our second child is named Zoe, mainly because I really liked the name and her second name is Hannah.

Out third and final child is Suzette and we did an internet search to find her name, It's a french name and I also thought that it sounded a bit punk rock!

I'm interested in hearing your story.

1. jpcmc profile image89
      jpcmcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm a new dad.  My daughter's name is Yna.  We wanted it really short.  We actually thought of naming her K.  If we had a boy we thought of naming him J.  Perhaps Yna will be thankful she's not named K.

2. WorkAtHomeMums profile image86
      WorkAtHomeMumsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've got a daughter Mimi. She was named after two family members who both passed away with a week of each other. Both suddenly. One was Miriam one was Millie so we took the mi from both names and called her mimi. My son is Olivier. It's not so common so we get people calling him oliver. Constantly reminding / correcting. Both children have same middle name of Hyatt.

1. jpcmc profile image89
        jpcmcposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a nice way to remember family members.  I have friends who got their names from other relatives.  some sound good while others are a bit a stretch e.g. Elibert, Edilberto.  Well I guess we get used to these names after some time.

3. charmike4 profile image66
      charmike4posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I originally wanted to call my son Hunter, after the author Hunter S Thompson. Unfortunately my wife didn't agree so after months of searching Sam was decided upon!

1. Teresas Girl profile image59
        Teresas Girlposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HA!  Love that idea!  Love Hunters S Thompson -  that would have been so cool!!! Sams a nice name though big_smile

4. Amy Gillie profile image81
      Amy Gillieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The best thing we did with names is that we all have the same middle name. My husband and son are both "Michael" and my daughter and I are both "Michelle", which is the feminine form of Michael. We love telling people that all four of us have the same middle name.

2. profile image57
    Justamamaposted 12 years ago

No real theme.. just what we liked:
    Nicholas , Brian, Matthew, Taylor (girl), Conor, Brady, Caden, Noah, Madison, Lucas

3. profile image57
    Justamamaposted 12 years ago

opps that is spelled CONNOR, not Conor

4. itakins profile image69
    itakinsposted 12 years ago

Michael,Maurice,Raymond,Thomas,.....the boys.Maeve,Sorcha,Blaithin,Naoise,Mide,Iseult....the girls.The boys have family names ,the girls traditional Irish names.

5. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

My parents went with average, well-known names for my four siblings (Matt, Kyle, etc) And somehow I ended up with "Shanna" from a romance novel. I can't figure that one out.

I like names that start with A for girls and names that start with J for boys. No idea why, but I'll probably have an Ava or Aida and a Jason or James.

6. pstraubie48 profile image80
    pstraubie48posted 12 years ago

My daughter is my only child...her name is Stephanie Kathleen after two favorite Aunts.

1. Jynzly profile image61
      Jynzlyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My son is Reynan (rey means king, prince or any royal personality...Reynan was a the name of the prince of the radio drama I was listening to when I was pregnant of him). My other child is Rhena Jean...rhena is a derivative of reyna, or queen, Jean is my own nickname.My daughter is my princess...she is named after me.

7. AshtonFirefly profile image70
    AshtonFireflyposted 12 years ago

I don't have any children as of yet. But I have always liked the name Jasmine, for a girl; and Isaac, for a boy.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Next time around I would adopt changable names for use as they grow.

Babs, Pooer, Walky, Talky, Sweetie, Arsy, Teener, Moron and Goodbye.

9. Lupozee profile image61
    Lupozeeposted 11 years ago

I have a son and we named him Aaryan, I'm now expecting my second and its a girl smile so we've decided to name her Kaya...

charmike4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lupozee, I'm interested in the spelling of Aaryan - is this a cultural name or from a specific region? Cheers Michael

10. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

Both my girls have very unusual names.  Thanks to her father, a singer/song writer wannabe, my oldest daughter's name is Sunshine Came Softly from the Donovan song Sunshine Superman. My youngest daughter is named Lone Star. So we have Sunny and Star.

charmike4posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They are both beautiful names Disturbia. I wanted to call my middle child Christine Strawberry Girl from the Siouxsie and the Banshees song, but my wife said no!

11. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 11 years ago

My mom called me James, after her father. My own dad wasn't too impressed, so I got stuck with his name Patrick as a middle name, but its not too bad. If I were ever to have kids, I've always liked Richard or William for a boy- good, strong names, and for a girl, I've always loved Helen, it just sounds so sweet.

12. Teresas Girl profile image59
    Teresas Girlposted 11 years ago

we named our daughter Elise.  Its a form of French for Elizabeth and this is after my fiance's mum.  Elise'e middle name is Teresa after my mum - need to keep everyone happy lol!!;D

13. leahlefler profile image94
    leahleflerposted 11 years ago

I am named for my great aunt, Wilhelmina Leah. I am extremely grateful my parents went with the "Leah" and not the "Wilhelmina." As for my kids, they are Matthew Reid and Nolan Thomas. Matt's name was fairly easy - we both liked it and it just seemed to fit. Nolan took a little longer: my husband likes very unusual names and I tend to like more traditional names. I liked names like Ryan and Kyle - he liked names like Moonshiner Beamerpants... and when Nolan was born we finally settled on the name Nolan - it was not overly common and suited Dennis's tastes, but was not so "out there" for me. Nolan is an Irish surname that means "champion," which fits him well - he certainly is our little fighter!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)