jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

People Tend to Follow Their Childhood Familial Patterns

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

People tend to follow their family pattern because this is what makes them comfortable.  In essence, the vast majority of people from small families tend to have small families themselves while the vast majority of people who grew up in large families tend to lean towards large families with few exceptions!   Do you agree with this?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It is the opposite with me. I always want a large family because my family is small. I think it is more fun as long as all are taken care of.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

No. The fact that I was raised as a homeschooled only child made me become much more social as I got older, and I'd like lots of kids (I have two so far, taking a break now but hopefully more in the future!)

1. Aficionada profile image94
      Aficionadaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I haven't really interacted with you since the second was born, Wry. Congratulations!  how is the baby?  Girl or boy?  how old now?  and how are all of you doing?  Are you finding (as we did) that the second makes an even bigger difference than we expected?  (But we still loved them all enormously!)

3. SmartAndFun profile image91
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

My mom had one sister, who came along when my mom was already a teen. She felt lonely during much of her childhood, and as a result she had five kids fairly close together so we'd always have playmates and something fun and interesting going on.

On the other hand, I saw how much hard work it was for her to have five kids,  so I purposely had only two.

But I can see other ways that our families are very similar, just not in the number of children.