jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do You Reward Children for Good Grades in School?

1. Brinafr3sh profile image89
    Brinafr3shposted 4 years ago

I praise my children when they have good grades in school. As a parent I like seeing the majority of A's and B's on their progress reports. Rewarding them for good grades is also a reward for me as well.

2. jpcmc profile image88
    jpcmcposted 4 years ago

It worked for me when I was still young.  My dad used to give us surprises and rewards.  As we grew older, it became different. I have a daughter but she's still too young for formal school.  But I do plan to give rewards when she gets good grades.

3. travel_man1971 profile image77
    travel_man1971posted 4 years ago

That's true! I usually get my rewards whenever I got good grades, not only tangible objects but also a genuine congratulations from my parents.

Little did I knew that my father(RIP) used to tell his friends about my achievements.

My mom is more vocal about my little successes from here and there. I'm getting used to it. Unlike before, I'm secretive about my 'eureka' in my life. big_smile

P.S. If ever I have my own children, I will do the same, just like others are doing with their awesome kids!

4. Monisajda profile image82
    Monisajdaposted 4 years ago

I certainly don't give any rewards for good grades or good behavior. This is a slippery road and can create a dependence on rewards. In my opinion, a child needs to have an internal motivation to achieve and not be studying for grades to be eventually rewarded. I am happy when my daughter has learnt something new and I am telling her that it makes me happy to see her figuring things out but not more than this.