jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Autism Linked to Maternal Obesity

1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

Autism Linked to Maternal Obesity
    By KATIE MOISSE | Good Morning America

"The prevalence of obesity and diabetes among U.S. women of childbearing age is 34 percent and 8.7 percent, respectively," the study authors wrote in their report published today in the journal Pediatrics. "Our findings raise concerns that these maternal conditions may be associated with neurodevelopmental problems in children and therefore could have serious public health implications."

http://gma.yahoo.com/autism-linked-mate … lness.html

I find it hard to beleive that obesity is linked...there have been heavy mothers in the past without giving birth to autistic babies.

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A few days ago I saw something that said there was a possible link between father's over 40 having children with autism. Personally, I think they're looking in the wrong direction. The fact that obesity and father's over 40 may be eating all the necessary foods to create a child with autism, one which is lacking the proper nutrition during development, is probably the answer.

2. ptosis profile image81
      ptosisposted 4 years ago in reply to this

All these link studies are just statistics and are not really science. They are looking for trends and not causes. Lifestyle is blamed for social engineering.

Here  another one: Obesity 'bad for brain' by hastening cognitive decline

Yest when you read the article, "All of the study participants came from one group of civil service workers, which may mean the findings may not apply more generally to other populations."

So I could just as easily say that gov't workers really are slow & stupid and are fat because they move at a snail's pace when processing your paperwork.

Check out this guy at the copy machine - fat AND dumb (probably a gov't worker)
      http://www.break.com/usercontent/2007/1 … ine-380220

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

There may be a correlation but that does not really suggest there is a 100% link, or that one causes the other.  Some other factors might cause some raised risk of both.

3. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

Yeah, those fat moms...

I knew there was a scapegoat we hadn't hounded yet.

4. psycheskinner profile image80

I don't think a research finding is an agenda.  Data is data.  People choose how to use it. Preferably *after* actually reading the experimental report.

5. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 4 years ago

They(govt) are steering people away from the immunization shots that are purported to cause autism.
    Since the forties, cases have started to be reported, and immunizations started at this time. Coincidence?
    Many seemingly normal babies are reported to start having autistic behaviors after a certain age...after immunizations?

6. psycheskinner profile image80

The government is strongly urging people to immunize.  And yes, it is a coincidence.