jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Hunger Games movie

1. giopski profile image77
    giopskiposted 4 years ago

I've written a review on this movie but haven't had the chance to put the question our here for discussion. Should adults especially parents worry about their teens watching movies like "Hunger Games" which basically has gory and violent themes?

1. clairewait profile image93
      clairewaitposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Gory and violent THEMES are far different from straight GORE and VIOLENCE in my opinion.  It is one thing to present adult themes to teenagers appropriately, and another to just hand it to them visually without room for discussion.

I appreciate THG presentation of such adult-themes.  The entertainment value of these books (and now movies) is high, and will get more people reading because of high interest.  But I don't think they are over the top for teenagers, especially not when you consider what most are exposed to through video games and other senseless movies pretty regularly.

That said, when I exited the theater, a family with elementary and preschool aged kids walked out in front of me.  I do NOT think this movie is appropriate for kids younger than middle school, and certainly not for preschoolers.

1. giopski profile image77
        giopskiposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree with you.  I do think that teenagers of today are properly guided before they watch movies such as this.  I have written an article about this (see for yourself if you may).  Parents need to educate their teens on how to better understand certain themes in order that they may watch the film in a mature manner.  Thanks

2. 59
    Shodanposted 4 years ago

I just read an excellent critique of Hunger Games, entiteled, "Why Hunger Games is Flawed to Its Core."

Among the key points about the movie: self-sacrifice becomes murderous self-interest. " The Hunger Games misunderstands courage, inspiration, oppression, and nobility as they relate to people in a collective herd."
    http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tre … -its-core/

1. 0
      kelleywardposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I saw the movie and I don't think it is a good movie for young kids to see. I saw kids there who appeared to be as young as 7 years old who looked scared at the violent scenes.