jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)

Should birth control be covered under your insurance plans?

1. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 5 years ago

Should it be available for single and family employees? And yes, many single people do engage in premarital sex. Would the cost of the bill outway the insurance rate increases associated with child birth? This cost is passed on to all the employees.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

I'm glad I live in Australia! We pay about $15 for 3-4 months of birth control here.

Is it expensive there?

3. breastpumpreviews profile image86
    breastpumpreviewsposted 5 years ago

Yes, to me it is cost effective for the insured and the insurance company.  A baby cost way more than a year supply of birth control pills.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you, BPP - and the cost escalates even further if it's a high-risk preganancy or there are complications with the fetus or newborn.

4. profile image85
    win-winresourcesposted 5 years ago

Hello Idratherbe-

Birth control pills are just another treatment to achieve, support and maintain health.  It's a prescription drug provided by a physician.  If you have presciption drug coverage (with its copays) it should not be excluded. Marital status is irrelevant.

Insurance plans and coverages are not the place to debate religious issues.

-DW

5. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 5 years ago

I think i should get free health care and have all my meds paid for.

I think you should pay for it

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can start with my $800 a month antipsychotics.

That would truly be good for society

6. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

We have medicare here, which every Australian is eligible for. Basically you get free basic health care and it covers all your hospital stays etc.

So you have the baby for free in the public health system, and also get about $5000 as a "baby bonus" over the six months after birth.

You guys have cool accents AND free healthcare?

Unfair!

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

LOL @ The cool accents!

But basically, yes. You aren't allowed to choose your doctor or if you have an elective c/section and you have to share a room, but it's pretty good for something free.

If you want an elective care, a dedicated obstetrician and your own private room with ensuite, you need to goto a private hospital though. smile

I really do wish we had basic healthcare in the us. All the other civilized countries do.

7. JSimple profile image73
    JSimpleposted 5 years ago

Yes it should be covered.  They can cover alcohol, speech, and other type of rehab therapy, I think covering birth control should be under that umbrella also.

8. profile image63
    logic,commonsenseposted 5 years ago

If you want your insurance to cover birth control, then buy a policy that covers it.
    Don't expect me or other taxpayers to pay for it.

working