jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (18 posts)

Should Men Attend Baby Showers?

1. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

We have been invited to a baby shower. Both men and women were invited. My husband is flabbergasted and says it is in bad taste (primarily because he doesn't want to go, I think). He says it is wrong.

I say, why not? I'm actually relieved, since it probably means we won't have to play stupid parlor games.

Do you think inviting both sexes to a baby shower is poor etiquette, or a sign of the changing times?

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

LOL It has always been a thing done by women because men don't want a part of it. It doesn't interest me at all to go to a baby shower.

I love that your partner is disgusted by it. Sounds like a great excuse. I'll remember that one just in case smile

2. mts1098 profile image84
      mts1098posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I attended our baby shower and am glad I did. I got free beverage and food smile

3. cmahan profile image78
      cmahanposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I say yes! But it also depends on the person. We recently went to a baby shower for a friend and her husband was there. My husband and hers are the best of friends so it worked out well. Most times the guys have their version - a diaper party. So, it really does depend on the person, the party, the crowd, and the husband.

2. Monisajda profile image83
    Monisajdaposted 4 years ago

I have been invited to a baby shower recently that was more of a mother blessing thing. Women gathered together to celebrate the mother-to-be while men watched the kids play. It was a pot luck party and my husband enjoyed the food and talking to other men while having an eye on our kids.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

I don't see a problem with men attending.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 4 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with it. Brides used to be honored at all sorts of parties, desserts, luncheons, teas, and showers, but now many include couples.

5. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

Only if they want to go or are promised that other men will be attend.  There is a possibility that they will bunch up with the other men who attend.  My hubby wouldn't go.  He still refers to knitting as "sewing."  When I worked in an office, everyone attended because the potluck was held there.

6. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 4 years ago

Men have no time for such frivolities as celebrating new life. We should be out grunting, hunting sabertooth tigers, and picking nits out of our chest hair.

7. 0
    idratherbeposted 4 years ago

I guess in this day and age it would be okay? Traditionally, in my day, women only attended. I seriously doubt, the majority of men want to attend, but attend reluctantly.

8. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 4 years ago

Wait.... men aren't supposed to go to Baby showers?

But in the Disney movie "Lady and the Tramp" the humans have a baby shower and both men AND women are there!

Of course, it's an animated movie about talking dogs that takes place in the early nineteen hundreds..... but somehow I always just assumed that both men and women went to baby showers because of that movie.

Oh Disney... how you have failed me!

9. 0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 4 years ago

I won't even go.  Not after this woman was exitedly telling me about mashing Baby Ruth and Snickers in diapers.  Like, you have to guess which is which?  Spare me.  I'll happily go shopping for a gift and slip some money towards the baby's college fund some other day.  I don't get warm and fuzzy over gatherings like this, but it's okay when others get together.  My friends are into it because they have children and grandchildren.  I don't.  If I did go, I'd gravitate towards the men for interesting conversation--like I always do.

10. Disappearinghead profile image88
    Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago

???? What on Earth is a baby shower? hmm

We have a tradition in the UK of "Wetting the baby's head", where the father and his mates go out on a pub crawl following the birth and get rip roaringly drunk. So if this is a baby shower, game on. smile

11. 0
    SJmorningsun25posted 4 years ago

It seems to me that, since a man's involvement was necessary to bring about the baby, that it is perfectly reasonable he should be there--and his friends, too. Maybe if the men felt more involved in the excited, anticipation stuff, they'd be more into the diaper-changing later on!

1. Disappearinghead profile image88
      Disappearingheadposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I've been changing nappies for ten years; it's no big deal. lol

12. 0
    Emile Rposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the responses. We were on the way to the event when I posted this forum. It turned out as my husband feared. I was the only woman who was able to convince her husband that men do attend baby showers when invited.

It all worked out though. I had an excellent excuse to slip out shortly after the gift was handed over.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hahahaha your partner obviously didn't complain as much as all the other girls partners smile

13. Courtney_CollinsD profile image82
    Courtney_CollinsDposted 4 years ago

XD I don't think anything is wrong with men and women both going to baby showers. It's happening a lot more in this day and age and to be honest, my baby shower was for both men and women. Then again most of my friends were guys so that was pretty much going to happen anyways.

I really just see it as a big party to celebrate a new life about to come into the world. Why not want to join the bash and play the games?