jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (10 posts)

How far back have you traced your family tree?

1. Leaderofmany profile image61
    Leaderofmanyposted 4 years ago

Can you trace your family tree back to when they landed on US soil or further back then that? Which side have you traced back maternal or paternal? Anything of interest come up in the search?

1. lj gonya profile image60
      lj gonyaposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I lucked out somewhat on both sides of my family. On my maternal grandfather's side, the direct ancestors included Clevelands, Bradfords, and Adams, to name a few, all well documented in New England history and beyond. My maternal grandmother's side included Pearson and Stout. The Pearson's are well documented in both Ohio and England, and the Stouts have been in this country for over 300 years. On my father's side, they were German immigrants who came over to Philadelphia in 1732 and their church records in Germany dated back to the 15th century.

2. E.M. Hughes profile image71
    E.M. Hughesposted 4 years ago

I have worked on both sides of my family tree.  I have one branch that I have been able to trace back to England in the late 1600s.  The other side of the coin being that I have a branch that I can only trace back a few generations.  I have a great great grandmother named Elizabeth Herald, who appears to have 3 cousins by the same name born around the same time.  Not sure which is my Elizabeth and so although I'm sure who one set of her grandparents are, not so sure who her parents are!!  It can get very, very frustrating!  Good luck in your searching!!!

3. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image87
    Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 4 years ago

I've worked on our genealogy research -- my husband's and my side of the family -- for about 32 years now. We each have ancestors who fought on both sides of the Revolutionary War.  The ones who were Loyalists came up to Canada. I have a Viking way back in the 1200's whose name I inherited as my maiden one. I have Scottish, Irish and English ancestors whom I have loved to learn about and think about.  My mom and dad's sides of the family are as different as night and day. Mom's family came down from Belgium in the 1500's, through Prussia for a century and then into Germany and finally into Russia in the 1800's. I love genealogy research.  It's so much more than names on a page or a computer screen.

4. Sparrowlet profile image91
    Sparrowletposted 4 years ago

Funny, I wrote a hub on this topic called "Adventures in Genealogy: What we Discovered about Our Family Tree" It is about my ancestor who came here from England in 1635. But we have traced my Mom's line back to the 1100's in England! I actually am descended from King Edward I of England! I have a website about my family genealogy as well, it was so much fun to build. My Dad's side has been harder to trace, since his father was orphaned early in life. But, genealogy is fascinating stuff! Nice thread!

5. kerryg profile image85
    kerrygposted 4 years ago

I can get back to 13th century England on my paternal grandmother's side of the family. My maternal grandfather has been working on his side of the family, but I haven't got the GEDCOM file yet, so I don't know how far back he's made it.

6. Faith Reaper profile image87
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

We have traced it back on my mother's side to Patrick Henry.

7. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 4 years ago

I'd like to say that my family tree includes three popes,several great philosophers,and a host of well known Italian political figures.I'd really like to say that...but I'd be lying.
    The first place I'd look for my ancestors is prison records if they go back to the inquisition...or earlier.

8. 0
    LikaMarieposted 4 years ago

I'm still working on mine, though I must say that I seem to see a lot of farmers in my line...  then again, that may explain why I like to garden.

9. Mmargie1966 profile image92
    Mmargie1966posted 4 years ago

Many centuries!  I LOVE GENEALOGY!  I would be happy to help anyone find their ancestry if needed.  I have several researched several families.