jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Birth Certificates of Adoptions

1. Leaderofmany profile image62
    Leaderofmanyposted 4 years ago

Should all states unseal the original birth certificate of adopted children? or is this an invasion of privacy or birth parents?

1. Mmargie1966 profile image92
      Mmargie1966posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I believe that information should be available for medical history.  There are many genetic diseases and if someone wants to know their heredity, they should be privy to that information.

1. glmclendon profile image61
        glmclendonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I am in agreement with you

2. peeples profile image89
      peeplesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes it should be open. There are far too many adults who were adopted who have questions with no answers because of records being sealed.

3. Faith Reaper profile image86
      Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, they should be unsealed.

4. Marie Brannon profile image82
      Marie Brannonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

As a 1960s birthmother, I'm in favor of unsealing records of adult adoptees, except when identifying information would infringe on someone's current right to privacy.  Unfortunately, this would force county courts into the business of investigating each birth parent's current situation individually, (which usually means finding them or their heirs).

In Texas, most sealed adoption cases have very little, if any, medical information.  They give a broad overview, such as: Mary Jones is 15 years of age and has blue eyes and brown hair OR Mary Jones is 35 and has been married once, to John Smith, and has one other child.  To me, this isn't medical information, it's family history.  Of the hundreds I've seen, only one or two had any comment about genetic diseases or any other kinds of inherited conditions.

Finally, a word about birthmothers and birthfathers.  Legally, they have just as much right to request a file be unsealed as the adoptee does, but they don't know which file to ask for - if they knew the name on the file they would know the name of the adoptive parents. 

Marie in Texas.

2. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 4 years ago

I completely agree with opening sealed adoption records.