jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Do you think it is ok to pop up on your child's daycare/school?

1. brittvan22 profile image76
    brittvan22posted 4 years ago

My daughter will be enrolling in the pre-k program in the next couple of weeks. I am a bit nervous about her adjusting and transitioning to a new school, teacher, students, etc. Is it ok to randomly pop up and visit just to check on her. I had an experience with a daycare administrator, who found issue with me popping in on my daughter. She said it was disrupting the flow of her being part of the population. The tone I vibed was that I got was less than comfortable. Then, I started being observant on the visits and saw things I didn't like,(kids with runny noses and teachers not as attentive as I would have liked) needless to say, she left that program. How do I articulate without sounding overbearing what my expectations are for them as my daughter is under their care? I do not want to muddy the waters from the beginning, but I want to make certain my daughter is treated properly.

1. 0
      Starmom41posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'd say yes, absolutely.  While it might be a little disruptive, if the school does not want you to show up unannounced I'd be concerned they might be trying to hide something. 
      I'd say "tell me how you do things-  and I'll tell you if I feel it's acceptable." 
      When it comes to keeping little kids safe & healthy, sometimes it's necessary to be a little pushy.  smile

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

I would ask these kind of questions before enrolling your child at any school.
    You can find out a lot on an initial visit. You can find out even more at your next visit if you're in the shopping around phase. Many preschools now have video cameras in all of the rooms and have monitors you can observe. 

You should be able to pop in anytime, but there are times when it really does disrupt the flow if the teacher is in the middle of instructional time or just got the kids settled for circle. Kids this age are very easily distracted.

As far as runny noses, a 4/5 year old should be able to get a kleenex and wipe their own nose. Younger kids generally need assistance.

I've written some on the subject of finding the right school, and I do encourage shopping around until you feel comfortable. You can communicate without sounding overbearing by asking your most important questions and sharing your expectations.
    It helps to read the school philosophy and know the goals and benefits they use for marketing.

Good luck. smile

1. brittvan22 profile image76
      brittvan22posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for your input it was invaluable, I will check out your hub on this issue. I just want to ensure her safety. There have been too many accidents in Atlanta daycares that have resulted in child death. I am forever traumatized by the two year old last summer that was left in the van for over four hours and died. The kids were coming back from Chuck E Cheese and someone had her accounted for on paperwork and when they found her on that hot Atlanta day, she was dead. Her big brother was also on the trip, it was heartbreaking to say the least. That somewhat mounted my fear. You have eased it a bit, thanks for your insight.

3. jacharless profile image81
    jacharlessposted 4 years ago

My son's pre-K3 school is very accommodating to pop-in visits. {and @ 600$ a month for 3 hours a day, they better be. lol}. Even still, they have cameras installed with audio, to view and listen to the class.

I tend to be a tough individual, when it comes to what he is exposed to information wise, and how that information is translated by teachers/faculty.
    They did good, so far. I can only hope pre-K4 is just as delivering.

4. leahlefler profile image98
    leahleflerposted 4 years ago

You should be allowed to "pop in" unannounced at any preschool or daycare. Many preschools have 'observation windows' (one-way glass) so that you can watch the kids without interrupting the flow of the classroom. The teacher does have a point, however, if you are entering the classroom on a regular basis - it can be disruptive to the classroom. I would try to find a preschool that has a way to observe without disrupting the flow of the class (whether that be via video camera, observation window, etc).

My son's three year old classroom assigned a day per month for each parent to participate in the classroom. It was really fun to be there for the class, though the teachers did caution that the child's behavior might be different with mommy or daddy in the class. I have been in my son's pre-K class a few times this year, but I try not to intrude too often because it does really interrupt the kids (it starts with squeals of, "NOLAN'S MOMMY!" and the teacher has a hard time getting everyone's attention back to the task at hand).

5. Dr Pooja profile image59
    Dr Poojaposted 4 years ago

Enrolling the kid into a daycare is the most toughest part  for the mother.When they cry the guilt kills you but sooner or later depending on each child they get involved with kids of their own age and seem to enjoy( may not be able to express it).Pop up visit assures the mother that child is happy and you can relieve yourself..Best wishes.I just did this with my 2year old son.He is loving it but took his  own time to get used to new environment.

1. 0
      kelleywardposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes I think you have the right to stop by and see how your child is bring treated. I do this at my children's mothers day out programs and also at public school. The teachers seem to appreciate my interest and do not see it as an interruption.