jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Parents abusing children

1. Babypenguin profile image60
    Babypenguinposted 5 years ago

I have been reading in the news lately, and it seems that the law seems to be backing down to parents who abuse their children.
    One news article was a mother had 2 children, she was growing weed in her home, was starving her children, one night one of the little boys drank a toxic liquid which literally burnt his insides and died. This child was 2 years old. In court she walked free with a 12 month suspended sentence, the judge said that it was best for her and the public that she was at home with her child..what so she can starve this one and eventually this child will die as well?
    What are your thoughts on this?

1. profile image0
      JThomp42posted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is Totally unacceptable!! They say the the true test of morality is how a Country treats it's children. I think we have failed that test horribly. Putting children back into a known dangerous environment should be punishable by the law if that child is harmed!! Thank you Babypenguin!!

Babypenguinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That's ok, I work in childcare and i've seen so many stories lately about parents getting away with stuff like this and it's sickening! The laws are ment to protect children, but even when they are babies and cannot defend themselves, they are not getting the protection they need

2. Dame Scribe profile image60
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

I think the Judge needs a psychiatric evaluation yikes the public don't know, and should know, if their 'authority' figures are 'sane' or in throes of some mental deterioration disorder of one kind or another. I hope the CPA in that area will keep tabs on that woman.

3. jennagleave profile image61
    jennagleaveposted 5 years ago

I think that a lot of laws tend to be becoming less and less punishable. There are far too many liberal minded judges who will see the good in everyone. Don't get me wrong, people deserve chances throughout life, who doesn't make a mistake? But, kill a child and let it go unpunished? How on earth could you sleep at night knowing that you'd allowed this woman to go home and given her another opportunity to *not* care for another child?! I know I couldn't. Alas, she'll have completed her parenting courses and the judge must think that they've "fixed" her... We'll see.

There are just some crimes that you can't forgive and some cases of neglect and abuse that really need to be looked at further. No parent is perfect, but you can bet your life that most Mothers and Fathers do NOT need parenting classes to know that it's dangerous and illegal to grow/sell drugs!

1. Dawn Purcell profile image60
      Dawn Purcellposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi hubbers, when i saw this thread i could not bring myself to comment. Unless anyone can really empathise with abuse it's so hard, emotions are strange little fellows and don't alway's comply with the we are feeling. I am 52 yrs young, 52 yrs stronger bringing up my wonderful Grandaughters who have suffered at the hands of abuse. Emotional and physical, one is switched of and shows portraits of autism, the other is so bright and her knowledge and passion towards her sister is just a blessing. The persons who have neglected and abused them are there  parents. How i begin  coming to terms when at the moment i cant think, to close but head up for the girls and i have to brave and strong. One day  one issue at a time .

Hi Dawn. I to have suffered abuse as a child, what happened will stay with me for the rest of my life, but ive learnt to put it to the back of my mind, i cannot let what happened rule the rest of my life. What really puzzles me is why parents abuse thier children in the first place, isnt it the parents place to love, care for and protect thier children. So many stories i have been reading lately in newspapers it seems like these things dont apply to alot of parents. I work in childcare, and ive formed emence bonds with the children. If anybody was to harm them, i would have a hard time to contain myself from hunting down the people who did it and well you know the rest. And they arnt even my children. Whats wrong with parents these days? And good on you for bringing up your grandchildren, atleast they have a better home

If anyone could answer why? it may not happen as regulary as it does now. I will never let it rule any part of me purely as it took 20yrs to put some closure on my past. The sad thing was in my case it was my Mother who sent men to me. My life now is so blessed and thank god for keeping me from feeling bitter and angry.Sorry to hear your story and if you need to talk do not hesitate, but from the sounds of things your doing good.I disowned my Mother a ear ago but should have done it years ago as unfortunately i had to disown my son for the right reasons. I am stuggling with this as my mother turned my son against me and he is to selfish to see, he drinks every day and when he has no money she feeds him more money....WHAT SORT OF MOTHER DOES THAT...I have to say that on a positive all these happen for a reason and me and the girls are so so happy it's brilliant, they do not deserve us in there lifes, we are far to honest and proud and good thing they cant handle...Thank you so much and there is light at the end of abuse as we are living proof..dawn..

For me it wasnt my actual family, it was my mums boyfriend (my brothers dad, long story) i was only 3/4 and i know most people would say oh you can't remember things from that young but with the stuff that happened, i still have the vivid memories in my head. I still sometimes have very bad nightmares about it, my partner has said that when im having a nightmare about it i scream kick and punch him in my sleep, quite a few times hes had to hold me down and wake me. Im grateful he loves me & understands. I don't know if this is bad but me and my mum don't talk now, but i hold a huge resentment against her for not protecting me. He used to beat her black and blue aswell but part of me wants to scream at her why didnt you save me. I know it must of hurt but you did the right thing. Thank you

I i totally get were you are at the moment, this is the right way to think and to be frank ...you have to tell your mum how your thoughts are, she is the person to protect you in every god situation she puts you in. Me and my mother had sat down and 24 hours, later nothing she said would not justify anything. I thought asking why was a simple enough question to which i am sure you agree. W did have a bit of a relationship but with research i know she as a boarderline personality disorder and this is the way her brain is wired, so she will never take on board or except she needs help. Now i have this in mind i actually found through the papers about her past, and she had been to prison and she was a prositute and so much more to take in about my mother, but sorry no excuses mum, you need to except my words to you are please listen to me when i tell you that sometimes it is not the way to talk or treat that person like that as it is wrong...I walked away feeling guilty but with love and peace in heart and that's so important to myself and my grandaughter as they will know when to walk away from a situation and know i am right....love dawn x x

working