Not So Lazy Days: Knotting the day away
Arts & Crafts
One of my favorite crafts at camp was making friendship bracelets. I cannot remember a summer when I did not make several, so, of course, I thought the boys could handle it, or at least the oldest could.
The boys picked out their favorite colors of embroidery floss (at 36 cents each at AC Moore, by the way... that may have been a sale price, though) and I cut 2-foot long sections of five threads. I tied a knot at the top and taped it to a book.
Then, working with the oldest, I showed him how to know across:
- Choose the order of the colors to stripe down the bracelet
- Make the bent part of a "4:" with the first color over the second color (or the straight part of the "4")
- Weave the first color under the second color and pull through, continuing to hold the second color.
- Repeat, tying the first color on to the remaining colors. one at a time.
- Once done with a row, the second color is now the first, and it gets to knot across the other colors in the same fashion.
- Continue this process until the bracelet is the right length. Tie the bottom to the top knot and give to a friend, or wear it yourself.
Unfortunately, I will admit, the oldest did get bored with the project after about 12 rows. However, he did ask me to finish it for him. So, he liked the idea, but just didn't have the patience for a slow moving project.
About the Not So Lazy Days series
I've challenged myself to find a new activity to do five days a week every week of the kids' summer vacation. Activities will fall under one of three categories: Arts & Crafts, Sports & Games or Field Trips. Follow me on Twitter @readallaboutsam for immediate updates on posts!
More by this Author
Some schools may let kids wear hats that are crazy or show their love of Dr. Seuss books for Read Across America Day. There are probably supplies already at home to easily make a hat from scratch.
How to make most superhero costumes - no sew, easy ideas. Includes how to make belts, capes and even a skirt worthy of warriors like Wonder Woman.
Pow! Zap! Rise as Batman villains for Halloween with these no-sew DIY ideas.
No comments yet.