8 Tips to help Stay at Home Moms manage stress
Stay at Home Moms and Stress
Contrary to conventional belief, stays at home moms are more likely to face burn-outs compared to working mothers. A research study conducted by University of Akron and University of Penn State validates this. The study showed that stay at home moms, over the age of 40 years have lesser energy and are prone to depression, compared to working women.
In general, mothers have a very hectic and stressful life. Preparing meals, getting the children to school, worrying about their studies, maintaining the house, juggling daily chores, the list is endless.
With a harried lifestyle this can have a huge influence on family, health, and other relationships. Stay at home moms are known to suffer from bouts of depression and melancholia.
Causes and Effects of stress on Mothers
A survey of over 7000 women in the United States identified some key factors contributing to stress in mothers. Some of these leading factors included:
- Change in relationships and increased conflicts with partners/husbands is a leading stressor.
- Inability to manage time and spare some for self
- Inability to stay fit and attractive.
- Raising girls was identified to be more stressful than raising boys.
- Being aware of stress itself tended to increase stress.
Mothers usually experienced gloom, depression and sadness, along with the overpowering stress. Stay at home moms are inevitably at a higher risk of developing depression, which have implications on their physical health as well.
8 tips to Manage Stress: Stay at Home Mom Stress Relief
While stress in inevitable, these tips can help improve your ability to cope with the overwhelming stress. Coping with stress using the correct techniques can help reduce the deterimental effects on your body and mind. Here's how:
- For the most part, all moms need to prioritize. Once you have your to-do list in place, you can dedicate time for your things. A calming bubble bath, a massage, a visit to the salon or spa are particularly helpful.
- Gentle, relaxing music exerts an amazing effect on the body; and greatly uplifts your mood. Spend about 15-20 minutes each day listening to music.
- All mothers need to practice deep breathing every day. This simple exercise promises to have a profound effect on the body, making you feel calm, soothed and refreshed. Deep breathing prevents palpitations, staves off anxiety - panic attacks, and infuses serenity and calmness.
- Most important of all, you need to eat well. Do not stay hungry for long spells of time and do not skip meals. What’s more essential, you need to eat correctly. Make sure that your diet is nutritious and wholesome; giving you all the essential nutrients; given that, even a single vitamin or mineral deficiency can trigger anger, anxiety and depression. Also, incorporate certain ‘mood foods’ that battle stress effectively and make you feel cheery. Excellent mood foods are - dark chocolate, spinach, whole wheat bread, bananas, eggs and nuts.
- Try to exercise thrice a week. Exercise will keep you physically, mentally and emotionally fit. Exercise has the potential to dispel anxiety, combat stress and boost the level of ‘feel good’ hormones.
- Talk to a confidant, your partner, a family member or a friend. Talking can be extremely soothing. When someone listens to you and gives you unreserved acceptance, it will help you immensely.
- Meditate on a daily basis. Meditation helps clear the mind of all unwanted and non-constructive clutter. It rejuvenates you and inspires harmony.
- Furthermore, you must have a hobby to pursue; anything that you love doing – gardening, writing, reading, painting, pottery; a hobby makes you feel happy about yourself and relaxes you appreciably.
Aromatherapy to manage stress: Stay at home Moms
Aromatherapy promises to allay anxiety, worry and stress appreciably and uplifts your mood considerably. Integrate aromatherapy in to your everyday life – have a soothing aromatherapy massage, add essential oils to your bath, use essential oils in an aroma diffuser, or use aroma oils as a mood perfume.They help increase a sense of well being, and have a favorable effect on the physical, mental and psychological states.
Here are some essential oils that can help reduce depression and gloom and instill calmness and happiness, and joy:
- Ylang-ylang essentail oil
- Lavender essential oil
- Bergamot essential oil.
Use an aroma oil diffuser to spread the essence of these oils in your room. Alternatively dilute these oils using base oils (Almond oil, Walnut oil or coconut oil) and massage your body with it. You can also add a few drops of these essential oils to your bath tub and enrich your bathing time.
More by this Author
Excessive perspiration, combined with multiplying bacteria and poor hygiene, result in dreadful foot odor and immense awkwardness. These guidelines will help you have nice smelling feet.
Abdominal distention and bloating are common digestive problems and can be treated promptly using simple home remedies. Lifestyle modifications also help deal with a gassy stomach.
Liver Cysts rarely have any symptoms; nonetheless, the condition hampers liver functions considerably. Home remedies help treat the condition successfully and keep the liver functioning optimally.