Health Benefits Of Butternut Squash Soup with Cucumber Chutney
Colorful Butternut History
The thoughtful folks at Whole Foods markets feel that butternut squash is a power food, because of all its health benefits.
The staff of Whole Foods offers a number of recipes and menu ideas in print and in cooking workshops to help consumers understand how best to enjoy their squash. Samples of new recipe results are sometimes offered in the store.
This particular squash plant thrives in the eastern part of continental Canada and the United States, where and you see it in markets during summer and autumn.
The vines of the squash could easily grow up the corn stalks, flower, and form the butternut squash. Often, a fish was placed in each hole in which the seeds of Three Sisters were planted together. As the fish decayed, it acted as fertilizer. This is how the Native Americans taught the first English settlers to farm.
Interestingly, squash, cucumbers, and pumpkins are members of the same plant family: gourds, even those inedible types of gourds we use for decoration.
High Quality Nutritional Benefits
Taken together, the edible varieties can make tasty meal combinations that provide a number of nutrients. These nutrients are
- phytonutrients (Vitamins E and C, Beta-carotene, Lycopene, Lutein-Zeaxanthin, and Selenium),
- additional vitamins and minerals, and
- antioxidants and anti-imflammatories.
Butternut Squash, One Cup Cooked
|Serving size: 1 Cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Carbohydrates 21 g||7%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 8 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Additional Nutrients (One Cup Cooked)
- Fat = 0.2 g, very little
- Vitamin A = 1,144 mcg
- Vitamin B6 = 0.3 mg
- Vitamin C = 31 mg
- Folate = 39 mcg
- Potassium = 582
- Also, 7 to 8% of the daily adult need for Calcium and Iron
- University of Illinois Extension
A number of winter squash recipes and links to other vegetables.
Recipe For Butternut Squash Soup
Makes 6 Servings
- 6 cups chicken [or vegetable] broth
- One large butternut squash, 2-3 pounds, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 5 Springs of thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3 Cloves of garlic, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 Medium sized leeks, chopped coarsely, using white and light green parts
- 2 Celery ribs, cut to 2-inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Slices of bacon cut into 2-inch pieces [meat is optional]. Cubed ham may be substituted, or meat can be eliminated altogether. 1 small tart green apple can be substituted for a different variety of flavor.
- 2 Cups tightly packed kale that has been chapped coarse.
- One can [14 to 16 ounces] navy or pinto beans [drained] - any light colored bean will be fine. Darker beans are fine if you like them, but will darken the soup as well. Garbanzo beans can be substituted.
- 1 Large carrot, diced
- 1 Yellow or red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Cup whole-kernel corn, fresh or canned [drained]
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Hot sauce if desired.
Healthy Olive Oil
Quite happy with the contents and format of this book, I could use it every day for flavorful meals instead of prepacked dishes. Once you use today's pressure cooker's, it's all easy!
Preparation Time is about 60 Minutes
- In a big soup pot, add the chicken or vegetable broth, cubes of squash, sprigs of thyme, garlic chunks, leek and celery pieces, and bring the mixture to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat immediately to low and add 2 bay leaves, 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper.
- Cover the soup pot and simmer the soup over low heat for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy skillet over medium high heat, heat the EVOO.
- Add to the skillet the cut up bacon strips and cook them through, turning them one once, until crisp, about 5-6 minutes or so.
- Remove the thyme [discard] and bay leaves [keep] from the soup pot and remove the pot from the stovetop.
- A little at a time, put the soup into a blender, puree it smooth, and pour it batch by batch into a large mixing bowl.
- When all the soup is pureed, taste it for seasoning and re-season if needed.
- Next, pour the soup back into the pot, scraping the bowl to get every last bit, and return the soup pot to the stovetop.
- Add the BAY LEAVES back in, and add the bacon, kale, beans, carrot, bell pepper, and corn.
- Bring the soup to a boil over medium high heat and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer the soup over low heat and stir periodically until the vegetables are tender, up to 10-12 minutes. Remove the pot from heat and remove the bay leaves.
- Taste the soup again and re-season if needed.
- Serve with hot sauce at the table. Ginger is also a great spice to provide.
Chutneys are condiments very often found in South Asian cuisine, but which have been adopted in America. They are made from many combinations of vegetables, fruits, herbs and spices. The cucumber chutney is cool, as opposed to the hot form of chutneys.
- 1 Cup low-fat, plain yogurt
- ¼ Cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger or ground (powdered) ginger
- 2 Tbsp chopped Cilantro
- 1 cup seeded cucumber, diced
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onion or scallion
- In one bowl, combine the yogurt with the vinegar and ginger.
- In serving bowls, combine ¼ cup cucumber, 3 Tbsp of the yogurt mixture, and the chopped cilantro for each person.
Please Rate This Combination
Recipes for butternut squash by video presentation.
Butternut Squash Ravioli
Buttercup Squash Side DIsh
© 2008 Patty Inglish
More by this Author
Here are six recipes, types of recipes, and how to enjoy them all year round. Christmas and inter Holidays will be brighter with these fun and delicious dishes.
A variety of tasty nuts and vegetables are healthy in the human diet. If you want a change from the same meats used day in and day out, try these recipes that provide interesting flavors & textures.
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...