Zurbyan in the Yemeni Way
A famous meal used on occasions. Yummy and delicious.
1 Kilo of rice ( Basmati or Mazah Rice)
Meat or Chicken
2 big heads of onion
3 big potatoes
7 garlic cloves
Zrbyan spices ( cumin, black pepper, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Cloves )
- Prepare the spices then grind them using the mixer grinder.
2. Cut the onion into slices then put it on the fire in hot oil till it becomes dark brown. Look at the photo below. Do not burn it.
3. Take the onions out and put it in the mixer grinder. Add the garlic and yoghurt.
4. After you take the onion out, use the same cooking pot and put the meat or chicken and potatoes.
Note here, in case you are using meat, you need to boil it until it is med-cooked. But if you are using chicken put it uncooked.
5. Keep moving it with your spoon for a few minutes then add the spices, onion and yoghurt mixture, and some salt.
6. Cover the pot and leave for around fifteen minutes. Meanwhile, boil the rice with salt, cardamom, and cinnamon until it is half cooked.
7. Add just a little amount of rice to the pot and mix it with the pot content, then add the rest of rice without mixing it. Just leave it above them.
8. Prepare an ember.
9. Take onion skin and put it on the rice in the middle, then add a little oil.
10. Take the ember and put on the oil and quickly cover the pot. Do not let the smoke to go out .
11. Leave it for around ten minutes, before you turn the fire off and serve your meal.
Note: - You can use a small cup instead of onion skin.
- You can use rice dye before you put the onion skin or the cup.
More by this Author
Writing style is one of the most important aspects in writing. It is the manner in which an author chooses to write to specific audience or readers. A style signifies the writer's personality and voice toward the...
Have you ever asked yourself “ What makes me a successful and a professional teacher?’’ Well, as we all know , teaching is not easy but it is very interesting job . It may seem easy to study at a...