10 Things You Probably Didn't Know about Coffee
How many of these coffee facts did YOU know?See results without voting
Coffee is an irreplaceable part of our morning ritual. Every morning, the vast majority of the population of United States, first thing in the morning, will absent mindedly brew a pot of coffee and pour themselves a cup to start their day. But how much do they really know about this beverage that is such an important part of their morning routine? Here are 10 things you probably didn't know about coffee.
- Americans consume about 400 million cups of coffee per day, which adds up to around 146 billion cups of coffee every year.
- Coffee has absolutely no nutritional value.
- According to legend, coffee was discovered around 1000 years ago, by goat herder who noticed that after eating the fruit of the coffee plant, his goats started prancing around on their hind legs. This led him to try the raw fruit himself to see what the hype was about.
- The coffee tree is actually an evergreen shrub which grows to about 25 feet high.
- The country of Finland, per capita, drinks the most coffee in the world.
- In the American Colonies, tea was the most popular drink until 1773, when King George III decided to tax it heavily. This led to the Boston tea party, after which, due to a lack of tea in the country, the people of the Colonies began to prefer coffee over tea.
- An average cup of coffee contains 100 mg. of caffeine. A couple of espresso contains about 200 mg. of caffeine.
- Some researchers believe that people who drink coffee heavily, actually are using the caffeine to treat themselves from the common symptoms of depression.
- Symptoms of caffeine overdose include: cold sweats, the shakes, heart palpitations, and a feeling of impending doom. Symptoms of caffeine withdrawal include: headaches, nervousness, and irritability.
I hope that this article helps to expand your knowledge of the beverage that ever important part of your morning routine. Now sit back and enjoy a nice, steaming hot cup of Joe!
More by this Author
Funa and simple facts about the Judaic religion.
A brief tour of the most commonly used religious symbols, and what they mean to those who use them.
101 great words and phrases you can use to avoid cussing! Actually, these are arguably better, more interesting, more creative, and far more insulting than any of those cliche old four letter words.