10 Meal Possibilities With Roasted Chicken
Juicy Roast Chicken
Easy and Tasty Meals That People Love
Roast chicken is one of those simple,basic recipes that every beginning cook can master, but sometimes the way you flavor it can make this dish into something entirely new. Whether you buy one of those convenient roast chickens at the grocery store rotisserie or roast your own according to my easy directions, I will give you 10 (count them!) easy and delicious recipes for using roast chicken as a base or as a way to put leftovers to use. Chicken is still one of the most economical of meat entrees and almost everyone likes this choice, which makes it great to cook for picky eaters and potlucks.
A few new ways to roast the bird, and other recipes to use the meat in a variety of ways await.
Let's start in on choosing, and how to roast, that basic chicken.
Amazing Roast Chicken
Make the best roast chicken ever. After you've tried my recipes ...branch out and amaze your family with your repertoire.
The creamy lemon flavor makes this special and delicious.
So many chicken casseroles! This one is easy, good enough for company, and EVERYONE likes it. You could be the rare exception, but I wouldn't bet on that. It does have many calories from things like the sour cream. You can make your own white sauce with a base of chicken broth if you don't like canned cream of chicken soup. Then it isn't so easy, but it is up to you.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2- 2 hours
- Roasted chicken in bite size pieces
- Large can of cream of chicken soup OR 2 regular cans
- half pint of sour cream
- juice of one fresh lemon
- Ritz* crackers
- one package from the box
- Mix the soup, lemon juice, and sour cream in a large bowl; add chicken pieces.
- Pour into oven proof casserole pan.
- Cover top with crumbled Ritz crackers.
- Bake for 45 minutes or so until heated throughout in a moderate oven. I like a lower heat like 325Â°, so that the sour cream is slowly heated through. Serve over noodles.
- You can use whatever noodles you want, but I like a medium width egg noodle.
- * You can use any butter flavored cracker, but I like to use the Ritz brand.
- Experiment with yogurt instead of sour cream, but there will be a different consistency to the sauce.
- Sometimes I thin down and create more sauce with a splash of milk before adding to the chicken.
- More calories? Pour a bit of melted butter over the cracker crumbs.
- This recipe can serve 6-8 people generously. It depends on the appetites.
Ten Yummy Chicken Recipes - With Roast Chicken
The Recipes You Can Find Here
First You Have To Roast The Chicken
or buy one of those delicious rotisserie ones!
One of the great secrets when you first start to cook is how easy, delicious, and versatile roast chicken can be. From a basic roasted chicken are innumerable dishes to serve: herbed, sauced, in salads, in casseroles, all sorts of ways. It is very economical, too. The absolute simplest directions for roasting your chicken are included in this lens. For a few words of how to make it best, read on.
To get the most meat from the process buy a chicken called a "Roaster". Any young whole chicken will do, but a roaster is a larger chicken with tender meat, usually between 5-7 pounds each. Yum! Chickens are graded, and almost all chickens sold in your grocery store are USDA grade A. That means they are supposed to be firm, full breasted, meaty, no blemishes, no broken skin or broken bones. What are the other type of chicken designations? There are "broiler" and "fryer" chickens which are are less than 6 pounds, normally. They can be roasted as well, they are just a smaller size and younger than the roaster chickens at the time of slaughter.
If you buy a rotisserie roasted chicken from your grocery the work is done for you and I think it works out to be more economical in many cases. Places like Sam's Club and Costco sometimes use the larger roasting chickens, groceries such as Krogers often offer the smaller sizes. They all taste good to me.
For the recipe ideas you will simply need the chicken to cool enough to remove the meat from the bone. Then start cooking one of the ten ideas here!
A couple reasons that I can think of to do your own roasting is that you can use organic meat if you wish, get larger sizes of roasting chickens, or even a capon. You can be sure of the quality of the meat, and the sanitary conditions of preparation. A ready-cooked bird is so easy that inconvenient home cooking is almost not a consideration, but has only a small edge because of cleanup, etc.
There you have the pros and cons of the ready cooked and the homecooked.
Roasting the chicken is so easy. Try it at home.
Easiest Steps To Roast A Chicken - A Four Step Program
There are many recipes for all sorts of roasted chickens, with flavors from herbs, with vegetables, glazed... but this is the very basic recipe and it will give you excellent results. Roast chicken is good like that. One of the easiest meals possible.
[My Little Secret: sometimes I just douse the bird in Wishbone Italian Dressing before roasting. It is super delicious. Occasionally basting a few times while it is cooking.]
Stainless steel with good heft makes for a solid roasting pan that will hold up to the use you are bound to require of it. A rack to keep the meat above the bottom of the pan
- Rinse the chicken inside and out under cold running water
- Dry it thoroughly, I use paper towels. Then get a good vegetable oil, I use Olive Oil, rub completely over the chicken.
- Salt and pepper the chicken inside and out. I use sea salt and cracked pepper. Now is the time to add poultry spices or a chicken spice rub, but it is not necessary.
- Roast your chicken in a roasting pan @ a moderate heat like 350 degrees. Time is according to weight, but figure about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. The golden brown roasted skin and clear juices will indicate that it is done.
Broil for 10 min. on each side,before placing in 450° oven for 20 min.The chicken will be juicier.
Roasting Time and Temperature
Roasting times and temperatures can vary. Chef Emeril says 500 °, others say differently. If the heat is higher, the time cooking is lower. The oven type makes a difference in both. Roast chicken isn't picky, and you will get a good result no matter which recipe you follow, but some of the tips and adjustments in recipes will give you GREAT results. Try the above tip: broil, then roast.
#2 Chicken Goulash Stew - Hungarians are great cooks- paprika is part of the reason why
I'm part Hungarian. We put paprika on almost everything not sweet. You have to use the real thing, or it won't taste the way it should. Really, trust me on this. See the Amazon suggestion at the bottom of the page. This recipe is an easy version of what you could make if you cooked the famous Chicken Paprikash.
- Roasted chicken pieces
- any cooking juices from the roast chicken
- 1 1/2 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth
- One onion
- one stalk Celery chopped and sauteed in TBS of butter
- Sweet pepper preferably yellow or red chopped and sauteed in butter
- optional 1 small can tomatoes
- 3 TBS Hungarian paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional 1/4 cup of sour cream
- Lightly brown the onions, celery, and the optional sweet peppers in the butter ( or you could use an oil).
- Combine all ingredients, except sour cream, in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven.
- Cook over slow to medium heat for an hour or longer to meld the flavors.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Add the sour cream, if you wish, and heat on low until sour cream is just heated through and thickening a bit. Don't heat too high or it will curdle. Adjust spices again. I always add more paprika at this point, maybe more salt..
- Serve with bread, spaetzle noodles, or rolls. Can be served beside, or over potatoes. Potatoes could be added in, but then I like it cooked in a roasting pan in the oven, not stovetop.
- It seems like a lot of paprika, but go ahead and use it. OK, start with 2 TBS if you must. You'll want more, though.
- Sweet Hungarian Banana peppers are the best, green peppers are acceptable,and any fresh sweet peppers added are a delicious addition.
- You don't need the sour cream, and the two variations ( with and without) are good, but very different in taste.
- You can use this in the crockpot.
- Cook until the consistency of the sauce is like thick soup. Sour Cream additionally thickens it a little.
- Try to find "fire roasted tomatoes" to add- I like the Muir brand; don't use Mexican flavored or Italian-herbed tomatoes- it will change the flavor too much.
- Prep time: 25 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- Yields: 5
3RD Idea: Chicken Curry Quick Dinner - Great Summer Meal
This is best if you have small bowls of side dishes to heap on top. Any, or all, are delicious.
Try these to start:
- chopped fresh tomato
- sliced bananas
- pineapple pieces
- shredded coconut
- chopped peanuts
- chopped apple
- Roasted chicken pieces
- 3 TBS Butter
- One large sliced onion
- Curry Powder
- Half pint of Sour Cream or 1 cup yogurt (or more if more sauce is wanted)
- Salt to taste
- In large frying pan melt the butter, add sliced onion and cook until translucent, add chicken pieces, cook until heated, add curry powder and salt, then turn down heat. Stir in sour cream or yogurt; you can thin the sour cream with a little milk if you desire. Adjust seasoning, heat through, and serve over rice. Good with a side of petite peas and onions served separately...
- Don't use high heat when you cook with sour cream, it will curdle.
- Do use a good quality curry spice mix. Fresh spices make a difference. "Madras" is a type of spice formulation that will have a mild curry taste. Adjust the strength to what you like. there are some very hot curries available. Add hot sauce, or some cayenne, to taste if it isn't hot enough for you. Sour cream cuts the heat.
- You don't need to chop the onions, big slices are fine, but cook until soft and translucent.
4th: Spinach Salad with Roasted Chicken Slices and Strawberries - for a summer's day
You can use roasted chicken sliced nicely in long meaty slivers on any salad, but try it on this one. Healthy one dish meal for any time of year, but especially good when it is hot outside.
- 1 lb Baby Spinach = 2 (6-ounce) packages
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- crumbled feta cheese
- Roasted chicken
- cut in slices
- Vinaigrette dressing
- Make your own dressing:
- 1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup olive oil, extra virgin
- Layer the Spinach greens on bottom, with strawberry slices and feta cheese sprinkled over evenly. Arrange the chicken slices in diagonal across the top. Drizzle with dressing, and serve.
- Blend ingredients then stir in
- 1 1/2 tbsp. poppy seeds
- Tips and variations
- You can use any greens, but spinach is good for you and tasty.
- You can add toasted pecans for something really special!
- Serve with small fresh baked biscuits on the side.
5TH: Frittata with Roasted Chicken and Red Peppers - A great Italian idea
You can added chopped cooked chicken to many egg dishes, including omelets. This one is the Italian style frittata .
- Chopped roasted chicken
- diced roasted red pepper (see directions)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 8 large eggs
- 3/4 cup grated Gouda cheese
- 3 TBS Cream or dollop of milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Directions for roasting peppers: slice peppers and brush with olive oil, broil, turning once with tongs,for about 15 minutes. Set aside; you can peel off the skin if you like. Dice them.
- Whisk together eggs, milk or cream, salt and pepper, most of the cheese in large bowl. Set aside about a 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Heat a large oven proof (iron works well) skillet on medium heat with some butter or olive oil in the bottom.
- Place onion in skillet and cook til soft, add chopped chicken. Season with salt and pepper, then cover with egg mixture. Lower heat to medium low.
- Cook egg, loosening the sides, til just set on the outer portion. Remove from heat, sprinkle the roasted red peppers over top and then the remaining cheese. Bake in a 350 oven until just set, about 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
- You can use other types of cheese, try Gruyere, goat, or a fontina cheese. Experiment :)
- If you would like to brown the top, broil it briefly.
- You can substitute coarsely chopped spinach for the peppers if you wish.
6TH: Quick Chinese Chicken Noodles - Just throw it together and eat
I'm the queen of the throw together meal. The secret is always in the sauce on those days.
- Roasted chicken cut in bite size chunks
- 1 chopped green onion
- chopped peanuts
- 1 coarsely chopped cucumber
- 1 jar Thai peanut sauce
- 1 package Chinese egg noodles or Soba noodles
- You cook the noodles, toss with a bit of sesame oil and set aside.
- Pour the peanut sauce into a pan with the chicken pieces, heat it and pour over the noodles.
- Place on a plate and top with the cucumber, green onion, and chopped peanuts.
- Eat the whole thing all up.
- If I have tomato bruschetta or pico di gallo on hand I'll throw that into the sauce.
- Don't have sesame oil handy? Use any vegetable oil.
- If you have any of the baby spinach from the salad (recipe on this page), add those to the noodles before you add the sauce. Stir around and then layer on the other things.
- 2 Broccoli heads divided into stalks or two packages frozen
- Roasted chicken cut into generous bite size pieces
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/4 c. butter
- 2 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. Half and Half
- 3 tbsp. Sherry wine
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan
7TH: A Chicken Divan - Did they misspell divine?
I learned to make this from Joy of Cooking or Amy Vanderbilt, I don't remember which one. It is great with the roasted chicken layered inside this fancy casserole.
- Steam the broccoli until a bright green color and tender (not soft). Lay it on the buttered bottom of a casserole dish.
- Make the white sauce:
- Melt butter to bubbling, pale yellow. Add flour gradually and stir constantly with wire whisk. Don't let the flour clump.
- Add chicken broth, cook and stir until thickened. Stir in Half and Half, salt, dash of pepper and then add grated cheese.
- Use a fourth of the sauce to cover the broccoli.
- Layer the chicken over, and then pour on the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle more grated or shaved Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Served over rice.
When Roast Chicken Is Best - Ten Situations
- When you are a beginner cook
- When you are a new couple
- When you want to please everyone
- When you need to make more than one meal at a time
- When you need to stretch your budget
- When you need something to serve either hot or cold- it is good either way
- When having company to dinner
- When serving more people than you anticipated (turn it into your favorite casserole)
- When taking dinner to someone else
- When you want something easy to fix
8TH: Middle Eastern Roast Chicken Variation - unique Moroccan flavor
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- plus 1 tablespoon ras-el-hanout which you can buy in Middle Eastern groceries or Whole Foods
- Uncooked roasting chicken
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 small whole lemons- pierced all over with fork
- Make a paste of all the spice ingredients, the lemon peel, and the lemon juice, oil, and fresh mint, mash together and smear the chicken inside and out with the spice paste.
- Put the lemons and garlic inside the chicken and truss the legs. Roast the chicken in a pan for about an hour or more. start out @ 400° for ten minutes or so, then drop the heat to 375° and roast until golden brown.
- ~~~~~~recipe for ras-el-hanout ~~~~~~~ Ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon hot Spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Generous pinch saffron threads
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the ground spices. Crush the saffron threads between clean, dry fingers, sprinkle over the spice mixture, and whisk again.
- Transfer the Ras El Hanout to an airtight container, and store in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months.
This recipe can be found at epicurious.com | Fine cooking also has a similar recipe "Roast Lemon Chicken with Garlic & Herbs"
9TH: Apricot Stuffed Chicken - Not just for holidays, get stuffed anytime
Stuffing will make the cooking times longer, but takes care of the side dish by providing a savory dressing. I like it with fruit flavors, apricot here, but orange or apple could be substituted.
photo by Colin Bartlett
- Package of bread stuffing
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- Dice two stalks of celery
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cups diced dried apricots
- 1/2 cup toasted pecan pieces
- canned chicken broth
- 4 lb Uncooked roasting chicken
- apricot jam for glaze
- Salt and pepper
- poultry seasoning optional
- Rub chicken inside and out with the salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning ( if you desire it)
- SautÃ© onion, parsley, and celery in the butter until tender. Add the apricots and cook for a few minutes.In a large bowl add the vegetables to the bread stuffing, add the nuts and pour in chicken broth. Mix well. Stuff the chicken.
- Roast the chicken, basting with juices. After the roast has cooked for an hour and a half mix 1/4 cup of apricot jam with some juices from the roast, brush onto the roast for the last half hour or so of cooking.
- Be sure to stuff the chicken only right before cooking it.
- Be sure to remove all the stuffing after cooking and refrigerate leftovers separately from the chicken meat.
- Internal temperature should register 175Â° when done.
10TH: Panzanella Salad with Chicken - Tuscany summer flavor right in your own kitchen
This one is from Better Homes and Gardens, the one cookbook my grandmother cooked from, my mother cooked from, and I have cooked from for most of my life. I think my kids cook from it now. They have great recipes and lots of them. I used to cut the recipes out of the magazines, but now I like to do that online.
"Panzanella or panmolle is a Florentine salad of bread and tomatoes popular in the summer. It includes chunks of soaked stale bread and tomatoes, sometimes also onions and basil, dressed with olive oil and vinegar." -Wikipedia
Extra virgin means comes from virgin oil production only, contains no more than 0.8% acidity, and is judged to have a superior taste. Extra Virgin olive oil accounts for less than 10% of oil in many producing countries; the percentage is far higher in the Mediterranean countries (Greece: 80%, Italy: 45%, Spain 30%). It is used on salads, added at the table to soups and stews and for dipping.
- 1 14 -1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes with green pepper+ celery+ onions (or use fresh- and just chop them up)
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 - to 2-1/4-lb. whole roasted chicken
- 4 cups cubed Italian bread
- 2 medium cucumbers
- halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup torn fresh basil or spinach
- Spoon off 2 tablespoons of tomato liquid.
- Combine with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, dash salt, and pepper; set aside.
- Remove meat from roasted chicken. Cut into pieces.
- Brown bread cubes in 2 tablespoons hot oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until golden. Remove.
- Add diced tomatoes; toss. Divide on plates. Add cucumbers, chicken, and basil. Pass tomato-oil mixture.
- That's how they make it, this is my variation
- Instead of the can of diced tomatoes, fresh Pico di Gallo. Plus the diced celery-just because I like celery.OR tomato bruschetta - that would be good.
- You could dice the cucumbers for a different texture.
- Experiment with the greens, mix them together, add in chopped romaine. Do your own thing.
Good Ingredients, Proper Equipment - Make the difference in great cooking
Sea salt makes a huge difference in taste, I think, and a good olive oil. I like a quality roasting pan, too.
Spices make a big difference. Look for the brands suggested and check the cooking tips!
What is it? A capon is a castrated rooster. Good roasted.
Julia Child's Recipe - Poulet en Cocotte Bonne Femme
Fun French music and quick moves through all the steps to a great roast chicken meal.
Another Julia Child recipe video to guide you through the roasting process and come up with a delicious meal of lemon-lavored roast chicken over watercress.
"Recipes I Found" Link List - The Best!
Sometimes I get the absolute best recipes from magazines or on the web. Here is my collection from on the web-yum!
More by this Author
Cook up the best Turkey dinner yet! Make a roast turkey with all the trimmings this year. Moist and delicious, making everyone happy.
Nothing beats the good old fashioned recipes for comfort food, and many of them are main dish chicken dinners. Start out with Chicken and Broccoli? Or pick from nine other choices for tonight.
Strong female lead characters in enthralling British crime TV shows makes for exciting entertainment. For those who want drama and suspense with women who play the heroes, not the victim.