2 Quick Appetizers: How To Make Easy Wrap Shrimp Fritters and Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger: A Cambodian Khmer Recipe
Pestle and Mortar...
Learn how to make two Simple, Fast and Delicious Appetizers!
Shrimp Fritters are Lightly Breaded and Crispy! Serve these before a meal as an appetizer or at your next party!
Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger are lightly sweetened and influenced by the French when they were in Cambodia.
In fact, they are very similar to French Fries! Potatoes are cut into large match sticks and precooked by boiling them. They are then seasoned with Salt, Sugar, and Fresh Ginger.
And that's just the beginning! We will roll them in Rice Paper Wrappings and then fry them to perfection!
You will be the life of the party if you bring these dishes to your next Super Bowl Party!
We will start with the Shrimp Fritter recipe first. Let's look at the Ingredients:
Shrimp Fritters Ingredients
How To Prepare
14 oz (400 g)
Wash, Peel and De-vein
1 cup (150 g)
Peel and Chop
1/4 cup (60 ml)
Green Onions (Scallions)
(Enough for deep frying)
Shrimp Fritters Recipe
*This recipe serves 4 and has a preparation time of 20 minutes. Cooking time is about 15 minutes.*
- Combine the Shrimp, Rice Flour, Garlic, 1 tablespoon of Coconut Milk, Fish Sauce, Sugar and Green Onions (Scallions) in a bowl.
- Check consistancy: if the mixture is too dry, add the other tablespoon of Coconut Milk. You want the mixture to stay thick.
- Heat the Oil on med-high heat in a large skillet or Wok. I always use a Cast Iron Skillet for best taste results, plus the added iron that is introduced into the food as it cooks.
- If you are not sure if the oil is hot enough for cooking, dip a tooth pick into the oil (careful for back splash!) and if when you pull it out it has little bubbles on it, you are ready to fry.
- Drop a few heaping tablespoons of the shrimp mixture into the hot oil, carefully!
- Cook a few tablespoons at a time because overcrowding the skillet will cause an extreme decrease in temperature which will result in under-cooked or oily food.
- Fry each batch until Golden on all sides.
- Carefully remove and allow to drain on paper towels to get excess grease out.
- Serve immediately with Chili Coriander Dip (follow the link for quick and easy dip recipe)
Jong Yam! (Want to eat!)
Now, on to the next recipe: Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger. Your friends and family will thank you!
Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger
How To Prepare
Large Sweet Potatoes
Peel and Cut Lengthwise into large French Fry-like "Matchsticks"
Fresh Ginger Root
6 inches (15 cm)
Peel and Slice Finely
Package of Small Rice Paper Wrappers**
1 Package (6 inch diameter (15 cm)
**See note and link below in recipe on how to prepare Rice Paper Wraps**
Enogh for Deep Frying
Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger Recipe
**Rice Paper Wrappers need to be softened before use. Follow this link for detailed instructions: Rice Paper Wrappers (scroll down past the ingredients to the Recipe section)**
*This recipe Serves 4, has a Preparation Time of 40 minutes, and a Cooking Time of 25-30 minutes
- Combine the Potatoes, Ginger, Salt and Sugar in a pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the Potatoes are just about tender-about 10 minutes or so.
- Drain and set aside.
- **Soften Rice Paper Wraps
- Wrap each Potato Stick in one softened rice paper wrap
- Heat Oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large skillet, until oil is hot enough for frying.
- Fry the Potato Rolls until Golden Brown.
- Drain Rolls on paper towels and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Serve immediately with Chili Coriander Dip (click link for recipe)
As an alternative to an appetizer, this can be served as a desert by sprinkling Sugar on top of the Rolls!
Chanang Tay? (Wasn't that delicious?)
More Recipes and Articles About Cambodia
- A List of Authentic Ingredients for Khmer Cambodian Food With Recipes
Cambodian recipes are usually not written down, but rather passed from generation to generation by showing children how to prepare these dishes in their own kitchens. It is a great cultural significance and bonding ritual within many Asian communitie
- How To Make Honey Glazed Chicken: A Southeast Asian Recipe
Traditionally, this dish is cooked in an earthenware pot. These pots are usually hand-made in the Kampong Chang region. The pot is placed in a small barbecue to add a smoky flavor to the dish. The herbs and spices flavors are arroused by the content
- How To Make 3 Basic Curry Dishes for Chicken, Seafood, or Meat. A Tangy Ham and Vegetable Stew Recip
One of the most enjoyed dishes in Cambodia, Southeast Asia, India and all over the world, is Curry. Curry has a very distinct aroma and taste. You can season Pork, Chicken, Beef, or Lamb with Curry, and these recipes are easy to make and don't take u
- My Soul Mate Found Me! A Short Essay On Karma Love and My Beautiful Cambodian Wife!
A love story about 2 people who would have never met, except for a series of unfortunate events that brought them together. Dealing with failed relationships and surviving the Khmer Rouge, an ethnic cleansing regime in Cambodia's dark past.
- Southeast Asian Water Festival in Lowell, MA: Photo Journey
The Southeast Asian Water Festival in Lowell, MA is held on the third Saturday of August every year. This article is a display of the events through Original Photos (Are You in one of them?) and descriptions of the Festival's Vendors and Events...
- Cambodia, Srok Khmer: Facts, Fun, and Photos: A Guide To Cambodian Culture
Cambodia has a long and interesting history, including one of the worst atrocities to ever happen to a single country. The Khmer Rouge killed millions of innocent people in this genocide. This article includes recent pictures that my wife took on he
- Learn How To Speak and Write Cambodian: An Introduction To The Khmer Language
An introduction to Khmer, the language of Cambodia. Includes pronunciation, character/letter writing, original photos and drawings. This is the best guide for a beginner who wants to learn how to read, write, and speak Khmer Cambodian.
More by this Author
- 8How To Cook Pot Roast In a Cast Iron Dutch Oven: Recipe Ingredients and Directions with Photo Review
Learn How to Cook and Make Traditional American Pot Roast. This recipe feeds 6-8 people and uses a Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Simple Ingredients and Preparation. Amaze your family with this classic dinner recipe!
These Banana Sesame Fritters make a great snack whether for after school or after a meal. They are best accompanied by Home Made Coconut Ice Cream but can eaten alone as well! This would make a great appetizer or side...
Learn about cast iron cookware and its benefits and how to season, clean, and store it.