24 Hour Pork Roast Recipe – The Best Roasted Pork You’ve Ever Had
Ready to make a pork roast unlike anything you’ve every had before? Well, although it can hardly be considered quick cooking, this technique is certainly easy, and it delivers foolproof, ever so tender, ever so tasty pork, every time.
Although this will sit in your oven for a full day – that’s right, for 24 hours, there is only a few minutes of active work involved.
This technique, which has been popularized by the British cookbook author, Nigella Lawson, has you roast a full pork shoulder in an oven that is just barely hotter than the desired internal cooked temperature. This lengthy cooking, the exaggerated equivalent of low and slow as preached in the BBQ circuit, melts any last bit of collagen in the meat and delivers the falling apart tenderest (but still juicy) pork roast you’ve ever had in your life – guaranteed. Additionally, since you’re cooking at basically the temperature you want to serve at, and since this hunk of meat is so substantial, it’s nigh impossible to overcook this beast!
Also, your house will smell great all day.
Give this a try, the neXt time you’re cooking for a crowd. Everyone will marvel at what you serve – and it is effortless!
24 Hour Pork Roast
- Heat your oven to as high as she’ll go
- Take a 15-20 whole pork shoulder, and rub it all over with a paste made from a couple of Tbls of olive oil and a few cloves of minced garlic.
- Heave the pork onto a roasting pan and pop into your searing hot oven for half an hour.
- After a half an hour, take the pork out for a minute and let your oven cool down to 220f degrees (leave the oven door open to accelerate this)
- Put the pork back in at 220, and forget about it for between the next day or so.
- After about 23 hours, crank the heat up again, and give the pork a final half an hour to brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oven – and be amazed at what you’ve created!
Take 5 minutes to get this started as you prepare Saturday dinner and you’ve got your Sunday feast covered! It takes the smallest amount of forethought and takes all of the strain out of preparing a giant family meal – and also, it really will taste amazing.
A pork shoulder is a must for this recipe. It’s got the fat and collagen needed for this lengthy cooking. Don’t try this with a loin roast! If you’ve never roasted a shoulder before, you are in for a real treat – it is in my opinion, the tastiest part of the pig (bacon not included, obviously…).
More Pork Recipes
- How to Make Confit Style Mexican Pork Carnitas. An E...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pancakejess/2240478860/ Fatty pork fried for hours in pork fatMexican pork carnitas are the best food in the world ever. While perhaps not on your cardiologist's...
- Low and slow smoky pulled pork BBQ! Make a great bac...
Make fantastic BBQ pulled pork in your home cue. Easy tips and tricks to a better backyard barbecue and pulled pork with BARK!
More by this Author
A small pork roast is a perfect after dinner meal - put it in the oven for an hour or so and forget about it. So easy, so good!
How to make the best pork roast you'll ever have!
A lot of people have trouble with meat. They like the idea of a great steak, and they have a general notion that the more expensive the steak, the better it is…but more than that…who knows?! I...