20 Health Benefits of Brown Rice
You have probably heard somewhere along the way that brown rice is better than white rice. Although there are certain benefits that white rice does have, it's generally true that brown rice is the healthier choice. But just what makes brown rice so good? Let's explore ...
Here are 20 health benefits of brown rice:
- Brown rice is full of fiber. There are many reasons that our bodies need fiber. Essentially, fiber facilitates digestion in the body and helps to eliminate waste.
- Brown rice is an excellent source of manganese. Manganese helps your body's bones, nerves and blood sugar levels.
- Brown rice also has a lot of magnesium. This has many of the same benefits as manganese.
- Brown rice is rich in selenium. This protects the cells in your body. It also helps regulate the function of your thyroid.
- Brown rice might prevent colon cancer. The combination of fiber and selenium in this ingredient aid the body in preventing colon cancer.
- Brown rice may lower cholesterol. There are still studies trying to determine whether or not this has true but initial research indicates that eating brown rice might help to lower cholesterol levels.
- Brown rice lowers blood pressure. The rice brain oil that is on brown rice (which is not on white rice, by the way) can help to control blood pressure levels which has multiple other health benefits.
- Brown rice is a good source of Vitamin E. Among other things this vitamin helps to prevent congenital heart problems.
- Brown rice may prevent heart problems in post-menopausal women. Studies have suggested that women who get enough whole grains (and brown rice is a great choice) may reduce their risk of heart problems after menopause.
- Brown rice may prevent asthma. Brown rice has anti-inflammatory properties that may have the potential to prevent asthma in children.
- Brown rice gives you energy. This ingredient is a terrific source of B vitamins which increase the body's feeling of energy.
- Brown rice can help you have better skin. Those B vitamins are responsible for this as well.
- Brown rice might boost your immune system. Those B vitamins along with some of the other nutrients in brown rice make it a healthy food that can make your immune system stronger.
- Brown rice diets reduce obesity. Diets that are rich in whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables help people who want to lose weight. Many health problems are associated with obesity so a brown rice diet can help indirectly prevent numerous health issues.
- Brown rice reduces migraines. People who eat diets that include whole grains like brown rice can prevent migraine headaches.
- Brown rice is a healthy choice for people with Type 2 Diabetes. Because of the relationship between brown rice and blood sugar levels it is a healthy choice for people who are suffering from diabetes.
- Brown rice might be good for dental health. It has been shown that whole grains are good for preventing gum disease and various tooth problems.
- Brown rice limits risk of stroke. Studies indicate that diets including appropriately levels of whole grains like brown rice can have more than a 30% reduced stroke risk.
- Brown rice is good for the fetus. Pregnant women need folate to help aid the development of the fetus and brown rice is one source of folate.
- Brown rice has "free" phenolics. There's a lot of science behind this situation but basically it means that brown rice offers some powerful antioxidant properties that we're just barely beginning to learn more about.
More by this Author
Figuring out what to eat can be really confusing in modern times. On the one hand, we are privy to lots of information about what is goodfor us and what isn’t. On the other hand, the information we get is...
Rice as a food and an ingredient has been a subject of a lot of interest over the past few decades. As that has happened, there has been a growing interest in a type of rice called aromatic rice. Three things have led...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.