Super Easy Microwave Homemade Fudge Recipe
Kids Can Make!
Love homemade candy but don't think you have time to make it? Think again. Even my kids can make this simple recipe and because you just use the microwave, it is safe for them to do by themselves (with mom in the kitchen supervising, of course).
My kids love the idea that they can make presents for friends, teachers, and neighbors all by themselves. When the holidays roll around, they decorate a plate to give away using colored M&Ms or sprinkles that match the holiday colors, like red and green for Christmas, pastels for Easter, or fall colors for Thanksgiving. Let your kids make your next holiday treat!
Lots of Flavors to Try!
Decorate with M&Ms before cutting
- 3 cups chocolate chips, (any type or flavor)
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 tea. salt
- 1 tea. vanilla extract, or other flavored extract
- 1/2 to 1 cup nuts, M&Ms, crushed peppermint , marshmallows or other candies
- Put chocolate chips in a bowl. Melt in microwave for 1 minute. Stir. If not fully melted, put back in microwave for 10 seconds at a time. Stir until smooth.
- Add sweetened condensed milk. Stir until smooth. Add salt, and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Optional: add any other ingredients like nuts or candy and stir.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Spread mixture in pan. Press down with spoon (or hands). Optional: press sprinkles, M & Ms, nuts or candies on top to decorate.
- Chill until firm. Cut into squares or use small cookie cutters to cut into shapes.
White Chocolate Pecan
Try these ideas!
- Try other types of chips like butterscotch, peanut butter, white chocolate or a combination.
- Add in ½ to 1 cup of nuts, M & Ms or coconut before pouring fudge into pan.
- Layer 2 types of fudge—like peanut butter fudge on the bottom and chocolate on top.
- If you cut out with cookie cutters and have pieces left over, you can melt them and pour again or roll into balls and press into sprinkles, chopped nuts, coconut or cocoa. You can also melt some chocolate and then coat them with it for chocolate coated fudge balls.
My Favorite Candy Recipe
What is great about this homemade fudge recipe:
- Kids can make: Grade school kids can make this on their own, and even a preschooler can help stir and cut out shapes.
- Tastes Great: So creamy and delicious that no one will guess you didn't slave over the stove.
- Makes a Quick and Easy Holiday Gift. We cut the fudge with heart-shaped cookie cutters for Valentines, or flower and egg-shaped cookie cutters for Easter. You can make the fudge extra festive by topping it with colored sprinkles to match the holiday.
Ever go into a fudge shop and enjoy all the different flavors? We went to Mackinaw Island and had lots of fun going into all of the different candy shops and trying all the different varieties. You can try this yourself at home. Create your own family favorites by adding different extracts, trying different types of chocolate chips and mixing in different ingredients. One of our favorites at Joanne's shop on Mackinaw was dark chocolate with cherries. We've duplicated that at home by using dark chocolate chips and candied cherries that you can get at Christmas time (they are used in fruit cakes). You could also try maraschino cherries if you have carefully dried them.
Here are some different kinds of chocolate chip flavors:
- dark chocolate
- peanut butter
- white chocolate (add different extracts like maple, walnut or strawberry for other flavors)
- chocolate mint fudge
Try adding these mix-ins:
- walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts, honey roasted nuts
- chopped Oreos
- dried fruit
- candied fruit
- peanut butter or Nutella (add up to 1/2 cup)
- chopped candy like ButterFingers
- Maple: add 1 tea. maple extract to white chocolate.
- Lemon: add 1 tea. lemon extract and 1 TB lemon zest to white chocolate.
- Orange: add 1 tea. orange extract and 1 TB orange zest to white chocolate.
- Strawberry: add 1 tea strawberry extract and 1/4 cup chopped dried strawberries to white chocolate.
More by this Author
Step-by- step photo recipe for a fast and easy homemade cake with icing you can pour on.
Easy 5 minute recipe to make Sugared Pecans or Walnuts in a skillet. Terrific snack, gift or great on salads.
Want to write a great argument paper, fast? Try one of these easy topics. You'll also find links to research ideas, writing tips, and sample essays.