5 Minute Chocolate Peppermint Cake
5 Minute Microwave Chocolate Peppermint Cake
Rate 5 Minute Chocolate Peppermint Coffee Cup Cake
Really Quick Chocolate Peppermint Cake
Sometimes the craving for chocolate and peppermint takes over, yet time prevents you from quenching your chocolate minty needs. Never again! No tricks, no fancy techniques, just quick simple and tasty chocolate peppermint cake. This recipe is so simple, even the youngest of kids can mix and make this delight! Pick your favorite coffee cup, mix together the 6 or 7 ingredients, and pop it in the microwave and "voilà" cool refreshing chocolate peppermint cake is ready for you to enjoy. Nothing could be easier! If you just want the fast chocolate delight without the peppermint, no worries! The peppermint syrup comes later and isn't even counted in the cake recipe ingredients or timeline! Let's get microwaving!
Cook Time for 5 Minute Coffee Cup Cake
- Prep time: 2 min
- Cook time: 3 min
- Ready in: 5 min
- Yields: 1 Serving of Chocolate Coffee Cup Cake
Ingredients for 5 Minute Chocolate Cake
Ingredients for 5 Minute Chocolate Cake
- 4 Tablespoons Flour
- 4 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1 Egg
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Mini Chocolate Chips, (Optional)
- Small Splash Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Coffe Cup, (Must Be Microwave Safe!)
How to Make 5 Minute CakeClick thumbnail to view full-size
How To Make Chocolate Cake In Less Than 5 Minutes
- Toss all of the dry ingredients into your coffee cup and mix together well. (Be sure to choose a large oversize cup, that is also microwave safe). In the picture by picture guide I have cut the recipe in half to accommodate the regular size of the coffee Hub-cup.
- Beat the egg a little and add it to the dry ingredients in the cup. Mix this together very well. It will be pretty thick at this point.
- Add in the oil and milk, again mix together really well.
- If using mini chocolate chips, add them in along with a splash of vanilla extract. Mix everything together really well one last time.
- Pop the coffee cup full of mixed ingredients into your microwave. (It is best to use a 1000 watts microwave) Bake your chocolate cake for 3 minutes.
- No need to panic when the cake begins to puff up and crawl over the edge of the cup. This is expected. The larger the cup used, the less likely the cake is to overflow. Now, simply allow it to cool for a few seconds, and easily tip the cake out of the mug onto a service plate (or feel free to eat it right out of the cup!)
- Pour the simple peppermint syrup (see quick recipe below) over the top of your cake and experience the cool chocolate flavors! I usually sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar and add a dollop of whipped cream, in or out of the cup!
Easy 5 Minute Cake in a MugClick thumbnail to view full-size
Baking a Cake in a Big Coffee Mug Can Get Pretty Hot!
To show the actual results, I went ahead and baked another quick microwave cake in a larger coffee mug (that's how quick and easy this cake is to make). The cake in the pictures was made using the recipe's full amount—I had cut the recipe in half to cook my first cake in my handy Hub-cup. This larger cake can be a fun way for kids to learn to share, as this size can serve two!
When you go to remove the mug from the microwave, use caution. Some larger mugs are made from different "art" materials and can get pretty darn hot in the microwave oven. So, use a barrier between your hands and the mug for protection.
Peppermint Syrup Tip
Use peppermint syrup in iced tea or iced coffee for an extra special summer taste sensation!
Add a Cool Peppermint Syrup Blast to Your Finished Cake!
Now that your cake is all cooked, before you eat it, try soaking it with a peppermint flavored simple syrup for an extra jazzy chocolate-mint flavor boost!
Peppermint Simple Syrup Recipe:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (or whatever flavor you choose to use)
Heat water and sugar to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 9 minutes. Take off heat, add in extract and stir. Cool to room temperature and soak cake with about 1 or 2 tablespoons of syrup by pouring it over the cake very slowly. Now you are ready to enjoy a very cool peppermint blast!
*Store leftover peppermint syrup in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Where Does Peppermint Come From
Peppermint is indigenous to Europe, but grows wildly in America and around the world. It's actually a hybrid; a cross between spearmint and watermint.
What You Think Really Does Matter
Do you like the flavor combination of chocolate and peppermint?See results without voting
More by this Author
An easy to follow three ingredient rolled cake fondant recipe. Make homemade fondant in minutes. Also, learn how to color rolled fondant, and what the 5 types of fondant are used for. It is so simple even I can do it!
Find the secret to a perfect toffee crunch here! 4 simple Ingredients (butter, sugar, nuts, and chocolate) make this really easy butter nut and chocolate toffee in just minutes, for the perfect bite!
The most common people foods are the most deadly to your dog. This list surprises even the most knowledgeable of dog people.