5 Simple Steps That Show You How To Taste Wine Like A Professional
Know more about tasting wine
Every day we drink, we eat and we taste all difference things. So, what is so special about tasting wine? Let explain what the difference between tasting wine and drinking wine. Tasting wine like a person who enjoy and appreciates of food as opposed to somebody who look at food simply as fuel to keep the stomach full.
What is the best way to understand how to taste and find out which kinds of wine that we like most? Find a quiet room, place a table with a white tablecloth together with white circle sheet for each wine which wants to taste. Normally, we just taste and do not swallow then spit out the rest.
Know more about the color of the wine………..
1. White wine become darker, while red wine become fade when wine is older.
2. If the edge of the wine has brownish tinge, it means the wine is older.
3. In white wine, Chardonnay will be darker in color than Sauvignon Blanc.
4. In red wine, Cabernet Sauvignon will be darker in color than Pinot Noir.
5. A deeper color of red or white wine, mean that it’s spent some time in wood aging.
Why each wine from different place (town, village or country) has different taste? The main few factors are………
1. The location to plant the grape.
2. The kind of grape which is used to produce the wine. Is it Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay?
3. The soil that is used to plant the grapes. Is it chalky or peaty?
4. The climate. Is it hot or rainfall?
After everything is ready, let us follow these 5 easy steps to start our wine tasting process. There are see, swirl, smell, sip and savor.
Look at the wine; tilt the wine glass against the white tablecloth so that you can see the true color from the neutral back ground (white tablecloth). Ask yourself, when you tasting red/white wine, what shade of red/white is it?
Fill the wine glass not more than 1/3 to ½ full. Pick up by the stem then swirl in clockwise motion. This is allows oxygen to mix with wine and release the aroma.
Stick your nose in the wine glass and take a deep breath. You will be able to detect the grape variety. Different grapes have different smell; this special smell brings back the whole memory of pleasure.
Bring the wine glass to your lips and take a sip. Let it roll around in your mouth if you want to taste the delicate difference in the wine.
Shut your eyes and try to think what you have tasted. Does it taste sweet? Do you feel the acid around? Or any bitterness like your mouth drying out from the tannin which comes from the grape seeds, stem and seeds. Finally, swallow it.
Sip the wine again and make a comparison of initial impression from the 1st sip. Think about how long the flavor lasts? A good wine will have a long, lingering finishing after you swallow.
Hopefully, the 5 simple steps above can help you to enjoy tasting wine.
More by this Author
Hari Raya Aidilfitri is one of the main celebrations for Muslim in Malaysia. Muslims must fasting for 1month before Hari Raya Aidilfitri. Preparation needed for Hari Raya or Eid Ul Fitr.