A Delicious French Onion Soup Recipe
French onion soup is something most people on eat at a fancy restaurant. It is a easy soup to prepare, although it does take some time. This recipe is fairly easy to make and results in a restaurant quality french onion soup.
The recipe calls for Gruyere cheese but you can substitute Parmesan cheese if you cannot find Gruyere cheese in your local market.
- Two Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
- Two Yellow Onions
- Salt and Pepper
- One Teaspoon of Sugar
- One Quart of Beef Broth
- One Bay Leaf
- One Cup of Shredded Gruyère Cheese
- One French Bread Loaf
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper and reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions are done when they are soft but not falling apart.
2. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Slice the french bread and place on a baking sheet. Cook the bread until crisp and lightly browned.
3. Add the bay leaf and beef broth to the pot. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and discard the bay leaf.
5. Heat the oven broiler to high. Place 4 oven safe bowls or crocks on a baking sheet. Put a slice of french bread in each bowl and cover with soup. Sprinkle the cheese on top and broil for 3-5 minutes.
6. Serve immediately.
What is your favorite soup?See results without voting
More Soup Recipes
- Easy Black Bean Soup Recipe
This black bean soup recipe is very healthy. Black beans are high in fiber and protein and lower your cholesterol levels.
- Cream of Broccoli Soup Recipe
This cream of broccoli soup recipe is quick and easy to make. It has a hearty, creamy flavor that is satisfying.
- Simple Minestrone Soup Recipe
Minestrone is an Italian soup that includes vegetables, pasta, and can include meat.
- Easy Vegetable Soup Recipe
The soup was very simple, using inexpensive ingredients.
- The Best Mushroom Soup Recipe
This mushroom soup recipe is a combination of several different recipes I found.
- Easy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
This chicken noodle soup recipe is very easy to make.
- Baked Potato Soup Recipe
This soup is a traditional potato soup, but it is topped with the same toppings used on a baked potato so it tastes similar to a baked potato.
- A Delicious Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Pumpkin soup is great on a cold day because it is thick and hearty and it warms you up.
- Creamy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Butternut squash soup is creamy and hearty.
More by this Author
Flavio Ensiki via Flickr This is a recipe for an Oreo cheesecake, one of the quick easy desserts I like to to make. It is best to make this the day before, so that it has ample time to cool. If you are making it the...
This vanilla mousse recipe is creamy and delicious. This recipe does not use raw eggs like many other recipes do because consuming raw eggs can be dangerous. Frequently, eggs are found to be contaminated with...
Learn how to make great dirt cake!