A Taste of Macau Foods
Macau -- A Taste of Macau Foods
Foods in Macau. Now, let us go to Macau, which is one of the special administrative region (SAR) under China and is less than 60 kms away from Hong Kong (another SAR), so tourists when they visit Hong Kong, they also tend to go to Macau to explore the area. Tourism and earnings from casinos are major sources of income for the Macau government. It will be very interesting to look at the foods in Macau knowing that it is part of China and then was colonized by Portuguese and mostly a receiving country from migrants in the nearby areas like the Philippines, Indians, Indonesians, Singaporeans and Malaysians, although 95 percent of the population are Chinese.
It will be interesting to explore the foods in Macau and what do we mean by -- A Taste of Macau Foods --. The objective of this hub is to have an overview of Macau foods and dishes and what is all about the Macanese cuisine.
If you have been to HongKong, Macau is very near the area Macau is the place for the five largest casinos in the world. Located in the southern part (coastal) of South China, Macau was a Portuguese colony until the 80's when it gained its independence and became a SAR of China.
Galinha à Portuguesa -- a Macanese dish made of chicken, potatoes and rice with curried coconut juice
World Cuisine Hubs
Foods in Macau
Macanese cusine : Foods In Macau : A Taste of Macau Foods
A Taste of Macau Foods -- Influences
- Since Macau is very near China, southern pare of China, their food was influenced by the foods in that region. Other influences are Portuguese foods, and Southeast Asian foods, to some extent there is also the influence of indian foods.
- Macanese cusine and foods are said to be a mixture of blends and is considered fusion foods.
- Macanese cuisine also utilized grilling, baking and to a certain extent they also roast foods.
A Taste of Macau foods : Some Famous Dishes
- Galinha à Africana is a fried shicken dish and is Portuguese in origin and mixed with a sauce which is called piri piri (spicy).This is being sold and eaten in various restaurants.
- Since majority are Chinese they also served dimsum, soups like caldo verde and sopa de alentajana
- Bacalhau is a cod which is cooked and stew, bake, grill or boil it. It is of Portuguese origin.
- Arroz de cabidela is a dish made of chicken and/or rabbit and mixed with rice and the bloof the said animals.
Galinha A Africana, chicken the African style with a sauce called piri piri -- spicy and coated
Bacalhau -- part of Macanese cusine -- dried and salted cod fish
pork chop bun
Snacks and Desserts
A pork chop bun is a famous snacks in Macau and is made out of buns and is chewable outside and inside and a pork chop is put in the middle part -- (sometimes the pork chop is is deep or pan fried). I can remember what I used to eat in the Philippines, I put any cooked meat, stew or fried with pan desal a bread and no other ingredients or vegetables is needed for additional flavorings etc., same with the pork chup ban.
Egg tarts pastry or pasteis de nate is a famous dessert in Macau is made of egg yolks and bread flour plus ingredients.
Tapas are also famous -- usually cold snacks or starters which is composed of olives or cheeses.
Spices in Macau Foods and dishes
- Turmeric- is a powdered like almost yellow in color for curry, and this is an Indian influence in Macau food. It is an herb and is used as ingredients. The flavor and smell is bitterlike, same as in mustard and little bit like a pepper.
- Cocount milk is also used as ingredients in Macanese cuisine, used as stew with meat like ducks, beef, pork etc. Throughout part of Asia specially the Southeast and the east Asia, they used coconut as ingredients to give flavor to foods or dishes.
- Cinnamon -- is an herb and is obtained from the bark of a tree to spice up foods
More by this Author
Easy to Prepare Cocktails : Mixed Drinks Made Easy. A cocktail is a combination of mixed drinks -- spirits usually mixed with other ingredients usually to have a distinct taste so as the taste of the spirit is easily...
South America comprises the following countries : Brazil, Chile, Argentina, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay. Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela. The two added territories are Falkland Island (UK) and...
Different Kinds of Leavening Agents. What are leavening agents or leaveners? Leavening agents are substances that are used in batters as well as doughs which are used to soften the dough and it is also used for...