A taste of Ilonggo Cuisine: Pork Estofado
Pork Estofado ala Ilonggo
Pork Estofado is a stewed pork dish served with fried plantains. This pork recipe is comparable to pork adobo but, the use of sweet potato and fried plantains provide distinction to this dish usually known and common to most Ilonggos in the Visayas Region of Philippines. Plantains or “saging na saba” help improve the flavor of a dish and adds a little sweetness to it.
When I was a kid my father used to cook this recipe in most of his clients during fiestas, wedding, birthdays and many other significant events in Ilonggos' lives as part of our traditional dishes.
Out of curiosity and fascination I tried to study this recipe until I was able to perfect it only to regret that my father would no longer get the chance to taste it. As a way of remembering him in our family’s significant occasions I make sure that this recipe is always present in our table.
I hope you will try this at home and hope you will enjoy eating it
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour 10 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 40 min
- Yields: This recipe is good for 4 persons
Pork Estafado Ingredients
- 700g deboned pork leg meat, cubed
- 2 pcs Chinese sausage, sliced thinly
- 2 pcs sweet potato (if not available use medium carrots as alternative), sliced
- 3 pcs plaintains(cardaba bananas), sliced
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- vinegar soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cup pork stock
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tbsp whole peppercorn
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Heat a frying pan and pour 3/4 cups of cooking oil.
- When the oil is hot enough, fry the sliced plantains until the color of each side turns medium to dark brown. Set aside.
- Pour 1/4 cup of cooking oil in a separate cooking pot then apply heat.
- When the oil is hot enough, put-in the garlic and sauté until the color turns light brown.
- Add the cubed pork and cook for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Put-in the soy sauce, water, whole peppercorns, and dried bay leaves then bring to a boil. Simmer until pork is tender.
- Add vinegar and wait for the liquid to re-boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and carrots. Stir then simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the contents of the cooking pot to a serving plate.
- Garnish with fried bananas then serve.
- Share and enjoy!
More by this Author
These are the list of advantages and disadvantages of being a woman. What's good about women? What are the drawbacks of being a girl? Find it out!
how to make Mango sago dessert recipe for refreshments, perfect for summer heat.
Philippines is widely known for its natural wonders and beautiful, crystal clear white sand beaches. It's simply reasonable for a country with 7, 107 islands. Despite the numerous islands it has, still there are some...
No comments yet.