Pie Crust Recipe With Lard For Freezing
BEST RELIABLE PIE CRUST RECIPE
This recipe despite the use of lard (usually not anyone's favorite word) is absolutely foolproof and the never-fail pie crust recipe I've been using for years now. It was passed on to me by my Michigan sister-in-law and although I have tried and tried to use various other and sundry recipes, this one always makes me come back to it.
1. Because it is foolproof.
2. It makes large quantities.
3. You can freeze it and it still works wonderfully.
4. You can actually roll it and re-roll it without it becoming shoe leather or falling apart.
BEST PIE CRUST RECIPE EVER!
- 5-1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb. lard cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 beaten egg
- Enough water to make 1 fluid cup with vinegar, egg and water
- Mix flour and salt.
- Work in the lard with your fingers - yes your fingers.
- Make a well.
- Add liquids (1 tablespoon vinegar, 1 beaten egg and enough water to equal 1 cup liquid measure in the cup in total).
- Shape into a ball.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Separate into as many balls as you would like - 5 to 8 for regular crusts. Flatten each ball into a disc.
- I make many mini-pies so I end up with far more discs than 5-8 - I also roll out my pie crusts super thin - and this one works!
- Wrap each individual disc in plastic wrap.
- Place in freezer bag(s) and label.
- To use from freezer, simply thaw out, roll and fill. If the dough is a little firm, you can microwave it for 10-20 seconds until pliable.
Recipe For Sweet Potato Pie
Try this as an alternative to pumpkin pie - delicious!
- Single crust pie crust
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (measure on scale/roughly 5 small-medium)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 3 large eggs plus 2 large yolks (or equivalent of egg substitute)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tablespoons bourbon (or flavoring)
- 1 tablespoon molasses (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- Roll out dough and fit into 9-inch pie plate (leave 1-inch overhang).
- Refrigerate until dough in pie plate is firm - about 30 minutes.
- Trim to 1/2 inch overhang beyond pie plate lip. Fold overhang under itself and the edge should be flush with the pie plate edge. Flute the edges (see photos in slide-show) or press edges down with fork tines for pattern.
- Refrigerate pie plate another 15 minutes.
- Oven rack should be in lowest position - heat to 425 degrees. Place a rimmed baking sheet in oven to preheat.
- Line dough-lined pie plate with foil and fill with pie weights (see in Amazon selections).
- Place the pie-weighted pie crust on the baking sheet and bake 15-20 minutes or until crust is light in color.
- Remove foil and weights - rotate pie plate and bake until crust is golden- 5-10 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and reduce the heat to 350 degrees.
- While you are preparing the crust or before, prick the sweet potatoes a couple of times with a fork and place on double layer of paper towels in microwave. (Place in a pinwheel or fan, star shape on the paper towels)
- Cook on high power for 5 minutes. Turn each potato over and cook on high for about 5 minutes longer until tender but not mushy.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Cut each potato in half, insert spoon and scoop out the pulp into medium bowl. Discard skins.
- You will need about 2 cups of potato when you are done.
- While potatoes are still hot, add butter and mash with fork or spoon but leave some small lumps.
- Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar, nutmeg and salt in bowl. Add bourbon, molasses if using and vanilla, then add the milk.
- Gradually combine egg mixture with potatoes - whisk gently.
- Heat pie shell in oven about 5 minutes (350 degrees).
- Sprinkle warm pie shell with the brown sugar.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture over the brown sugar.
- Bake until filling is set around edges but the center jiggles slightly when you shake it (about 45 minutes).
- Remove from oven - cool pie on a rack to room temperature (about 2 hours) and serve.
- Sweet potatoes can be pricked with fork and baked uncovered in 400-degree oven 40-50 minutes instead of microwaved
- Make sure the crust is warm when you add the brown sugar and sweet potato filling. Make the filling while the crust is baking
- Molasses enriches the sweet potato flavor
- Serve with whipped cream
Buy Here On Amazon
More Helpful Tools From Amazon
The Facts About Lard
More On Making Pie Crusts
- How To Make the Best Pie Crust
The holidays are coming, and baking season is upon us! Sure you can buy the pre-made roll up pie crusts from the dairy case by the Pillsbury products, but why not make this year special? There really is...
More Cooking Links
- Perfect Slow Oven-Roasted Roast Beef
This recipe is so basic and so easy that it is a keeper for me! I actually was skeptical about the cooking time that was listed in the recipe I had seen on simplyrecipes.com and am glad that I did not follow...
- How To Make Your Own Lunch Meat And Why It Is Better...
This is something I've been doing since our kids were growing up and I still continue to do this. To be honest, I have never liked the taste of processed lunch meat, even all the so-called chemical and...
- How To Cook A Holiday Ham
Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's we always have ham for one of the three holidays. It makes a nice change from poultry and beef. There is always a lot left over for making bean or pea soups and...
- Fall Classic - Crockpot Beef Stew
At this time of year, soups and stews are a must for me because I love the ability to add so many good-for-you vegetables and enjoy the delicate aromas that slow-cooking lend the house. Nothing feels better...
- How To Make A Loaf Of Cornbread
This is a great recipe for making cornbread as a loaf; traditionally, most cornbreads are baked either in cast iron fry pans or in 8 x 8 baking pans, but this recipe is unique in that you bake it in a loaf...
- Kate's Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
This menu was constructed by my daughter and think many of the recipes came from foodnetwork.com but I did notice that some of the links were to The Barefoot Contessa cookbooks and recipes. They sound...
More by this Author
Quick and easy ways to make mini tarts. Mini tarts make great appetizers and desserts.
I recently found this recipe on fitnessandfreebies.com - it is called Low Calorie Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie. This is a favorite at our house because of its minty flavoring. I have made several ice cream pies over...
Easy way to cook roast beef. This works with the toughest cuts of beef. Easy and delicious.