Abundance Of Squash, Recipes For Using Them!
Squash, Squash, And More Squash!
I love the summer when there is an abundance of squash, we get to use our imagination on how to use them.
I have included several of my favorite recipes for squash. The ways are numerous in how you can use them from stir fry to pickles to desserts!
I favor the yellow, zucchini and patty pan squash for most of my cooking. You can also use these squash raw in salads or a marinated relish also.
Grilled Squash, Fast And No Mess!
Grilling fresh vegetables are so good and a healthy way to cook them! Try different seasonings to find your favorite!
- 4 or 5 squash, sliced or as many as need
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Slice the squash ¼ inch slice lengthwise or crosswise.
- Toss sliced squash with olive and and salt, pepper and garlic power. Place the squash on a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, pull the foil around the squash to seal it.
- Put the squash package on the grill and cook for 20 minutes or until tender.
Mexican Squash Casserole Spice Up Your Life!
- 4 cups cooked yellow or zucchini squash
- 1 chopped small onion
- 1 can tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 cup crushed cracker crumbs
- ½ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Wash and cook squash
- Add onion, tomatoes and green chilies and chili powder to cooked squash and mix.
- Place into casserole dish; top with cracker crumbs and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
I really love to stir fry my squash, it is delicious, quick and easy. You can do one type of squash or a medley of different types.
We raise yellow, zucchini and patty pan squash, so that is what I usually cook I also occasionally add rings of onions or bell peppers strips with them.
- 4-6 sliced squash any type
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Place olive oil in medium-high skillet, depending on how many squash you use and size, just so they are coated with the oil.
- Slice and season squash, omit red pepper flakes if you do not like spicy.
- Cook squash over medium-high hit stirring constantly until tender crisp, about 2-3 minutes.
- You may use 2 cloves of fresh garlic in place of garlic powder
- Add one medium onion cut into rings and ½ bell pepper cut into strips with squash for variation.
Rate My Recipes Please!
Baked Panko Crusted Yellow Squash Fritters Recipe
Zucchini Slaw is a delicious way to use an abundance of your fresh garden zucchini. This slaw is cover with a creamy sauce. Simple and fast to put together.
- 4 medium zucchini, coarsely shredded
- 1 carrot, coarsely shredded
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 jalapeño pepper , minced (optional) (sissy remove seeds)
- salt to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, mix coarsely shredded zucchini and carrot.
- Add cilantro, jalapeño, bell pepper, garlic and red onion.
- Mix mayonnaise and mustard, add to vegetables and stir until well blended .
- Add salt to your taste.
- Chill the Zucchini Slaw for at least one hour.
Makes 8 servings.
Squash Pickles Are Very Addicting!
If you have never eaten Squash Pickles, you must try this recipe. It is made with summer squash, onions, green peppers, vinegar and seasonings.
This Squash Pickles recipe tastes just like Bread and Butter cucumber pickles and they are usually crisper. They are delicious with just about anything. Squash Pickles will be ready to eat in 24 hours.
- 8 cups yellow summer squash, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 /12 cups sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- Sterilize 6-8 pint jars, lids and rings.
- In a large non-aluminum pot layer squash, onions and peppers.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand one hour in cold ice water.
- Drain off excess liquid.
- In a pan heat sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed and turmeric.
- Pour over squash, onion and pepper mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Spoon squash mixture into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
- Seal with sterilizes lid and rings.
- Turn jar upside down to help seal.
- Ready to eat when cold.
Makes 6-8 pints.
- Do not over cook or pickles will be soft.
- Chill 24 hours before serving.
- Sterilize jars, lids and rings in dishwasher
- Use caution when filling jar with hot mixture.
Green Chile And Chicken Stuffed Squash Recipe
Green Chilies Squash Recipe
We love spicy foods at our house, this is a recipe that we really like to make often! It uses yellow and zucchini squash.
It is an easy side dish for any meal! You an adjust the green chilies to suit your heat level!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 zucchini squash, cut into ¼ -inch slices
- 1 yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1-4 ounce can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 medium tomato, peel and chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Sauté onions in butter in a large skillet for 2 minutes.
- Add squash, green chiles, tomato, salt and black pepper; stir gently.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes or until crispy-tender, stirring occasionally
Easy Squash Casserole, Old-Time Favorite!
Squash Casserole is a great recipe for using up some of the many squash you are harvesting. It is quick and easy to assemble and bakes in less than 1 hour.
It uses squash, sour cream, carrot, cream of chicken soup and onions. Serve with a pork roast and fresh garden salad or meat of your choice.
- 2 cups cooked yellow squash
- 1 cup sour cream, 8 ounces
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1-10 3/4 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package seasoned bread crumbs
- salt, black pepper and butter to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook squash, drain and mash.
- Add to squash; cream of chicken soup, sour cream, onion, carrot, salt, black pepper.
- Sprinkle a layer of seasoned bread crumbs in shallow buttered dish.
- Spoon squash mixture over the crumbs.
- Top with more crumbs and dot generously with butter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- May use 1 roll Ritz crackers (crushed) or package of herb stuffing instead of bread crumbs.
- 1 cup of cheese of your choice may be added.
- Serve Squash Casserole with meat and a fresh garden salad.
Now The Grand Finale, Chocolate Zucchini Cake
You say, squash in a sweet bread, a cake or a pie! Yes, and they make it moist and delicious, you have no taste of the squash! Okay, let's get started making Chocolate Zucchini Cake!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipe
Chocolate Zucchini Cake is a delicious way to use up an abundance of these summer squash. You may top with a Cream Cheese Frosting or leave plain. It is a very moist and yummy cake, you would never guess it was made with zucchini squash!
- 1 ½ cups margarine, softened
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened powder cocoa
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup oil
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream margarine, oil and sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla extract and buttermilk; mix well.
- Add sifted dry ingredients; baking powder, cocoa, flour, baking soda and cinnamon; beat well.
- Add zucchini last and mix evenly.
- Put in a 13-inch x 9-inch pan, I make mine in a tube pan!
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes.
More Recipes to Check Out!
- Finger Lickin' Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Come on into my kitchen and we will fry up some Finger Lickin' Buttermilk Fried Chicken! Best ever homemade crispy, tender and moist fried chicken! Get your napkin ready for some finger lickin'!
- Homemade Chow Chow Relish, Peach Salsa and Jalapeño Jelly Recipes
Looking for recipes for cook and no-cook Chow Chow Relish, Peach Salsa or Jalapeño Jelly I have the recipes to make them homemade!
© 2016 Margie Lynn
More by this Author
- 1Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Recipe, AKA $250 Cookies: The Best Cookie You Will Ever Eat
Mrs. Field’s, a.k.a. $250 Cookies, are loaded with chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, pecans and oat flour you make in the blender. A recipe you will make many times, scrumptious, make lovely gifts!
Check out these delicious pumpkin recipes for the holidays. Pumpkin gooey butter cake, savory pumpkin soup, pumpkin cake, pumpkin cornbread and bread, and the always delicious pumpkin pie!
You will know the Christmas holiday is drawing near when we start making our favorite Christmas candy recipes. A few of my favorites are divinity, fudge, peanut brittle, divinity, toffee mad more!