Afternoon Pick Me Ups
Falling Asleep at Work
Can be useful...
Do you ever get to the feeling when you're at that point of time in the day where if you don't have something to eat or drink you will just go nuts? Either that you just won't be able to function for the rest of the day? I am sure many people have had that happen to them. Here are some foods and beverages that you can have to help relieve those so called "cravings":
1. Coffee or tea- Coffee has its benefits and its downsides. For instance, if you are used to drinking coffee, 2-3 cups per day is the limit for people who have heart and nerve conditions. Tea is a better alternative although it may not be as effective as the psychological effects of coffee are (i.e.-caffeine is more in coffee so it will keep me awake). Tea is healthier for you anyway.
2. Sugary/salty snacks- I know of many people who crave something sugary or salty during the day when they are at work. They keep granola bars, candy, potato chips and other snacks at their desk. These snacks may or may not always be healthy for you, so you should probably try to find healthier options such as fruit, carrot sticks or even baked potato chips.
3. Walk/Exercise- Walking or a bit of stretching at your desk has been shown to decrease the salty/sweet food cravings, and may be an option for you. I know of this person who works at my university who runs for about 30 minutes on her lunch break. Talk about dedicated, especially in the summertime when it is hot and humid!
4. Power Nap- I have read that taking a 15-20 minute power nap rejuvenates your body, and helps you become more productive for the rest of the time period that you work. You might try taking a nap after your lunch on your 15 minute break if you can.
5. Listen to Music- Ah! The power of music! Doesn't that just make you want to jump up and dance? Music is a great stress reliever! If your boss permits it, maybe you can take in an MP3 player/IPod, listen to the radio/internet radio. I know of a website called www.pandora.com that will let you put in the name of the artist or song and it will create a playlist for you.
Hopefully at least one of these options that I have mentioned above will help you get through the rest of your work day. For me, listening to music, walking around and drinking tea all help me to destress. They help me to become more productive and help me finish up my work.
What are some things you do at this point of time in the day?
No comments yet.